Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2260537 - 09/30/21 07:02 PM Regulation D
Paul Offline
Every bank I have worked at charged a penalty for CDs broken in the first seven days (regulation D), even for business accounts. We have a major multinational firm that wants to open CDs with us for 2 -4 days. When we told them that a penalty would apply for early withdrawal, they said none of their other banks charge a penalty. I called a colleague of mine at another bank, and she told me that they also charge a penalty to businesses and has been told the same by her customers.

Is there an exception for CD/TDs opened by a business to the minimum 7 day early withdrawal penalty rule (Regulation D)?

Thank you

Paul

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2260538 - 09/30/21 07:13 PM Re: Regulation D Paul
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Anything less than 7 days is a demand deposit and not a time deposit:

12 CFR 204.2(c)(1) Time deposit means:

(i) A deposit that the depositor does not have a right and is not permitted to make withdrawals from within six days after the date of deposit unless the deposit is subject to an early withdrawal penalty of at least seven days' simple interest on amounts withdrawn within the first six days after deposit.

Return to Top
#2260546 - 09/30/21 07:41 PM Re: Regulation D Paul
Paul Offline
Thank you and sorry aging for the duplicate post.

Return to Top
#2260747 - 10/05/21 09:17 PM Re: Regulation D Paul
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Because interest can now be paid on demand deposits, larger business with temporary excess liquidity may want to obtain short-term time deposits (under 7 days). It's perfectly legit to offer them, and the Time Deposit early withdrawal fee requirement is not required.

Your CFO may not want to take on this kind of liability, however, if it messes with the bank's asset-liability mix.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2263908 - 12/21/21 09:41 PM Re: Regulation D John Burnett
Paul Offline
Thank you, I missed you reply.

Return to Top