Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2260704 - 10/05/21 04:51 PM Capitalized Interest Regulations
Gwanny Offline
Kentucky
Can anyone give me guidance on where to find the FDIC regulations that apply to Capitalized Interest on Loans? Looking for something that will show when interest on a loan is not paid at renewal or refinance and is required to be reported as Capitalized Interest. I appreciate the help. Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2260710 - 10/05/21 05:59 PM Re: Capitalized Interest Regulations Gwanny
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There are none. And where would you "report" it?.

Return to Top
#2260713 - 10/05/21 06:38 PM Re: Capitalized Interest Regulations Gwanny
Gwanny Offline
Kentucky
We report these to our Board of Directors every quarter.

Return to Top
#2260724 - 10/05/21 07:28 PM Re: Capitalized Interest Regulations Gwanny
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why? You mean you refinance my home loan and there is $253 in accrued interest that you are rolling into my new loan, you report that to the board? Is that a State law requirement or something?

That is a common practice and really means nothing. There is a big difference in that and capitalizing interest and bringing a past due loan current. That is when you have problems.

Return to Top
#2260770 - 10/05/21 11:44 PM Re: Capitalized Interest Regulations Gwanny
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
The regulators are interested in capitalized loan interest because it's an easy way to hide non-performing loans. They don't (generally) require any particular tracking or reporting, but they do expect interest capitalization to be controlled. Is it possible that your bank was criticized by safety & soundness examiners in the past and the board reviews were part of the resolution of the problem?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z