Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2260784 - 10/06/21 01:31 PM TIN Mismatch
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have a business customer who has sent in a list of employees that they want HSA accounts opened for. They provided us with all of their employees information so we can open the accounts and will get all documents signed for us. However, two of the employees came back with a TIN mismatch. We did receive copies of their social security cards, which match what we entered when doing the TIN matching. They still came back as a TIN mismatch. I asked our CSR to get tax documents for us so we can see exactly how they file taxes with the IRS, however, the supervisor to the CSR and our training officer informed the CSR yesterday (when I was out of the office) they don't believe we should ask for any more documents because they don't want it looking like we are "picking" on these two customers. Both of these customers have Permanent Resident Cards from another country.

I say we aren't "picking" on these two customers. The reason we do the TIN matching is so we don't receive a B notice and get fined $250 for each mismatch and to verify the customer is who they say they are. I do have a call in to my supervisor to see how she wants to proceed, I just thought I would see what some of you would do in this situation. Am I correct in wanting to ask for tax documents or should I ask for something different?

Keep in mind, we having been dealing directly with the employer of these two people and not the people themselves.

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2260786 - 10/06/21 01:39 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What does this mean?

Both of these customers have Permanent Resident Cards from another country.

Return to Top
#2260788 - 10/06/21 02:05 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Sorry - That didn't make sense. They both have a Permanent Resident Card from the US. We used this card and their SS card to verify their identity.

Sorry again......

Return to Top
#2260789 - 10/06/21 02:19 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I see no reason as to why you cannot question a mismatch if you are using the official IRS TIN matching process.

Return to Top
#2260790 - 10/06/21 02:28 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Is verifying the TIN within your CIP procedures?

Return to Top
#2260800 - 10/06/21 03:04 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
It is within our CIP procedures and normally when we have a mismatch, it's due to a number being entered incorrectly and is something we can clean up pretty quickly. The employer did provide us with copies of their W-2's and we tried a couple of different ways of searching again this morning - all came back as a mismatch. It is just strange because we have a copy of their SS card and their W-2's and we are still getting a mismatch. We have never had a situation like this before.

After discussing it further we have decided not to open the accounts for those two employees.

Return to Top
#2260808 - 10/06/21 03:17 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Social Security Number cards are ridiculously able to be counterfeited and it is not unheard of for counterfeit cards with bogus numbers to be used by foreign nationals for employment. You should ask the employer or the employees in question to obtain current verification of those numbers from the Social Security Administration.

One other thought -- unless you are using a service that actually matches against SSA records, rather than credit bureau information, you cannot be sure of the facts.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2260812 - 10/06/21 03:31 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You can download and fill in the bank information on SSA Form 89 (https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-89.pdf), which the two individuals can complete with their name, date of birth and SSN, and add their signature and date. It can then be taken to the local SSA office.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2260825 - 10/06/21 06:35 PM Re: TIN Mismatch Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Hi John - Thanks so much for the information. We are currently using the IRS TIN Matching site to verify TIN's on interest bearing accounts. We tried multiple different ways of verifying these SSN's with no luck. We did decide not to open the accounts without some type of verification from the SS office. So we will see what happens once we talk to the employer and employee.

Thanks again for all of the information!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett