Thread Options
#2261146 - 10/15/21 04:34 PM Identity Theft on Loan App
NeedtheBeach Offline
New Poster
We received an online loan application and quickly determined this was identity theft due to address and DOBs not matching credit report, along with known information on the customer's identity that was stolen. How do we handle this incomplete application for HMDA purposes?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2261151 - 10/15/21 05:43 PM Re: Identity Theft on Loan App NeedtheBeach
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I do not believe the bank received a legitimate application.

Return to Top
#2261152 - 10/15/21 06:40 PM Re: Identity Theft on Loan App NeedtheBeach
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Hmmm. Makes me think we might need to amend our application procedures to modify our definition of an application to include some language around "received from a customer who can be positively identified." That way there can be no possible expectation for HMDA or Reg B purposes that we take any action on that incomplete application other than potentially file a SAR if required.

Return to Top
#2261163 - 10/15/21 10:37 PM Re: Identity Theft on Loan App NeedtheBeach
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
HMDA does tell us an application is " made in accordance with procedures used by a financial institution for the type of credit requested." I would believe most banks will, or as Jim indicates should, have that the application must be for a legitimate purpose. ID theft would not meet that requirement and therefore the bank would not have an app. Then comes the SAR procedures...
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2261174 - 10/18/21 02:45 PM Re: Identity Theft on Loan App NeedtheBeach
NeedtheBeach Offline
New Poster
Thank you everyone. Yes, I did consider the definition of application, unfortunately we don't spell it out, which I'm now recommending that they do. I'm still advising them not to report for HMDA purposes, as I believe we have a valid position and/or argument for not reporting it. We had already submitted the SAR as soon as identity theft was recognized.

Return to Top
#2262138 - 11/04/21 08:24 PM Re: Identity Theft on Loan App NeedtheBeach
compgal21 Offline
If it is a fraudulent, why is it considered being reported? It is not a legitimate application with no potential of origination. I would just notate that somewhere and have it on hand for examiner's and refer them to BSA if they have any questions on whether a SAR was filed or not.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM