Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2261180 - 10/18/21 03:49 PM E-consent & E-delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may be a strange question but if the consumer provides their e-consent for e-delivery of the documents when they complete their on-line application is the financial institution obligated to deliver the documents electronically or may the bank opt to provide them only in paper form?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2261212 - 10/18/21 10:41 PM Re: E-consent & E-delivery Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can always deliver paper.

#2261213 - 10/18/21 11:14 PM Re: E-consent & E-delivery Anonymous
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Legally, paper is always "written", and will satisfy disclosure format regulations. Contractually, you may arrive at a different answer. If your service agreement/ESIGN pre-consent disclosures say you will deliver documents electronically, then delivery in any other way is a technical breach of contract. Before switching back & forth, read your account agreements.
Last edited by Richard Insley; 10/18/21 11:16 PM.

#2261268 - 10/19/21 08:03 PM Re: E-consent & E-delivery Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you both. I figured it would come down to what Richard states about the contract. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything in the regulation.

#2277372 - 10/31/22 05:00 PM Re: E-consent & E-delivery Anonymous
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Since we are talking about contracts/account agreements, does ESIGN apply to this document? Technically it's not a "disclosure" required by a federal regulation.

If ESIGN does not apply, can changes be delivered electronically without demonstrative consent?

#2277375 - 10/31/22 05:16 PM Re: E-consent & E-delivery Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It all depends on whether or not the documents you are talking about fall within the following definitions.

Then you also have to worry about UDAAP.

(c) CONSUMER DISCLOSURES.—

(1) CONSENT TO ELECTRONIC RECORDS.—Notwithstanding subsection (a), if a statute, regulation, or other rule of law requires that information relating to a transaction or transactions in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce be provided or made available to a consumer in writing, the use of an electronic record to provide or make available (whichever is required) such information satisfies the requirement that such information be in writing if—

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale