Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2261454 - 10/22/21 03:59 PM Plays for Kids Addressing Mental Health and Race
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We are looking at a potential donation request and I'm trying to see if I can fit it into the CRA CD box. The donation would be to a local arts council for a program that puts on shows directed at students that address topics such as bullying, racial equality, body image, grief and anxiety.

The local school district just came under fire from the DOJ and settled a claim of widespread racial harassment among students and the school district's lack of a response. We want to help be a part of a solution, but would like our donation to get CRA credit. I know arts and theater programs generally don't qualify for CRA, but the FDIC district we are in (SF) looks favorably on mental health and racial equality efforts. Do we have a leg to stand on for CRA?

Return to Top
CRA
#2261468 - 10/22/21 06:23 PM Re: Plays for Kids Addressing Mental Health and Race TMatt87
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
If I was pursuing this, I'd focus on the mental health and racial equality aspects. If the school district is predominantly LMI, even better. A lot will depend on how the program is described, however.

Return to Top
#2261483 - 10/22/21 07:13 PM Re: Plays for Kids Addressing Mental Health and Race TMatt87
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
It's a district wide program for predominately elementary schools. We have a mix of schools above and below the 50% free/reduced lunch threshold.

Return to Top
#2261506 - 10/23/21 04:04 AM Re: Plays for Kids Addressing Mental Health and Race TMatt87
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
Technically race has nothing to do with CRA. It's all about income class and serving the needs of the LMI community. That's what you need to get community services credit under CRA - show that the majority of kids benefitting come from low- and moderate-income families.

Return to Top
#2261790 - 10/28/21 07:49 PM Re: Plays for Kids Addressing Mental Health and Race TMatt87
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
Maybe you could attach a letter to your donation and list the specific schools/shows you want your donation to be used for. Chances are you support isn't paying for the whole program, you should be able to say which schools you want to support, and those should be the ones above 50%.

Return to Top