Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2261673 - 10/27/21 02:30 PM Phase I Exemption - Public School
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
Is a public school district considered a government entity for BSA exemption purposes? If so, is it a mandatory exemption and we don't have to wait until they hit the threshold for transactions?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2261677 - 10/27/21 03:23 PM Re: Phase I Exemption - Public School CSB98
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Phase I exemptions are exempt based on who they are. If the entity is receiving property tax income, it is a government entity and is exempt immediately.

(Note ansicllary entities associated with the school district likely are not government entities such as the local PTA chapter, scout troops, alumni clubs, sports and music boosters, etc..)

Phase II exemptions require five reportable transactions in 12 months to qualify as an exemption.

Return to Top
#2261678 - 10/27/21 03:25 PM Re: Phase I Exemption - Public School CSB98
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A public school is usually a subdivision of the local government, which would make them a Phase I entity and not subject to any transaction threshold tests.

Return to Top
#2261716 - 10/27/21 08:37 PM Re: Phase I Exemption - Public School CSB98
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
"District" implies that this entity operates across county lines and is not a subdivision of any one county government. If that's the case, state law should spell out what it takes to be this special type of subdivision of the state, not of a single county. If the laws of the state or ordinances of the counties served by the District authorize the District to levy fees and charges to fund its operations, these should probably be viewed as the equivalent of taxes.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z