Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2261856 - 10/29/21 08:05 PM Business Resolution
Anonymous Offline
100 Club
I was just asked if we need to have a resolution for every type of business account. From what I have read best practice is yes but legally only required for profit/non-profit Corporations. I have not found a lot of material on this, what does everyone else do?
Thanks!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2261858 - 10/29/21 08:21 PM Re: Business Resolution Anonymous
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
This is as much a safety and soundness issue as anything else. Without a business resolution, you do not know who has the authority to perform what actions on behalf of the business which could leave you open to liability if an unauthorized person performs an action. (For example opening an account in the name of the business for which they did not have the authority and stealing millions of dollars.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walter...o-19-12-years-in-prison/?sh=1e567987dddb

Return to Top
#2262431 - 11/12/21 04:08 PM Re: Business Resolution Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
We have always required a business resolution and the appropriate documentation to support signing authority for any business account we have established. Brian articulated the rationale for doing so better than I could.

Return to Top
#2262435 - 11/12/21 05:04 PM Re: Business Resolution Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is really something that you need to sit down and talk to your legal counsel about if you are planning not to. Every bank I know requires a corporate resolution or the equivalent from all business entities.

Return to Top