Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2262099 - 11/04/21 03:43 PM Escrow Refund with Deceased Joint Borrower
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
If one of the borrower recently past away prior to the loan paying off and a check is being cut to for the remaining escrow balance how should the check be made payable. We typically would issue a check made out to both borrowers but the remaining borrower wants it just to them.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2262118 - 11/04/21 06:15 PM Re: Escrow Refund with Deceased Joint Borrower terpsfan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The dead person can no longer make payments - I am not sure why they would be entitled to any refunds. It cannot be for a large sum - can it?

Return to Top
#2262152 - 11/05/21 11:16 AM Re: Escrow Refund with Deceased Joint Borrower terpsfan
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
In this case it is about $2,000. Given the account is still jointly held I assumed it would still be considered held by the remaining borrower and the estate.

Return to Top
#2262159 - 11/05/21 01:22 PM Re: Escrow Refund with Deceased Joint Borrower terpsfan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That could be - but is the remaining borrower the SII? Do you think that other heirs are going to raise a stink? It is a risk call, but why make a widow or widower jump throw more hoops than they have too if they just lost their spouse. It really is going to depend on the facts at hand.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z