Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2262552 - 11/16/21 05:09 PM Scam Occurred Outside of Bank
ItsJustMe Offline
Gold Star
New York
If we suspect scams for a competent, independent, but elderly person that are occurring outside the bank (no banking transactions), should we file a SAR?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2262553 - 11/16/21 05:41 PM Re: Scam Occurred Outside of Bank ItsJustMe
Local_Banker Offline
You can always voluntarily file a SAR. To me, it would depend on how much info I had about the scam, subjects, amounts, etc.

Also, even if you don't file a SAR you might consider an elder services referral.

Return to Top
#2262555 - 11/16/21 05:46 PM Re: Scam Occurred Outside of Bank ItsJustMe
ItsJustMe Offline
Gold Star
New York
Thank you so much! I was thinking along the same way but appreciate hearing confirmation :-)

Return to Top
#2262582 - 11/16/21 10:37 PM Re: Scam Occurred Outside of Bank ItsJustMe
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would be in the camp of a referral. How likely is it that the bank has sufficient info to file a SAR such that someone in law enforcement is going to see it and be able to act on it? I have no faith in that. But some elder abuse/referral organization that is more likely to contact the person and more likely to be able to prevent further harm.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2262585 - 11/17/21 05:04 AM Re: Scam Occurred Outside of Bank ItsJustMe
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
In some states, financial institutions are mandatory reporters with respect to elder financial exploitation. I know that's the case in my home state.

Return to Top
#2262610 - 11/17/21 08:51 PM Re: Scam Occurred Outside of Bank ItsJustMe
ColoradoAML Online
Gold Star
I agree. Here this would warrant a report to whatever agency the state directs, and we would not file a SAR. SARs are required for transactions conducted or attempted through the FI. I wouldn't use a SAR to report something that wasn't related to the FI.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z