Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2262930 - 11/29/21 01:39 PM Financing MSB=Community Development?
InFairness, CRCM Online
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Has anyone at an FDIC-regulated bank ever received credit for loans to money services businesses having a community development purpose? Our leadership is arguing that the MSBs provide financial services to unbanked and underbanked immigrant and LMI populations. I recognize that they do, however, MSBs are often high-cost financial services, so it seems a little icky (highly technical compliance term).

Return to Top
CRA
#2262933 - 11/29/21 03:01 PM Re: Financing MSB=Community Development? InFairness, CRCM
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Goodnight! That sounds like some contorted logic. Check cashers, car title lenders, Carshields, rent-to-own businesses preying on the underbanked, are in fact, pursuing a CD purpose. Just my opinion, but I don't see the FDIC accepting this explanation for qualifying a loan as CD.

Return to Top
#2262937 - 11/29/21 04:28 PM Re: Financing MSB=Community Development? Pale Rider
InFairness, CRCM Online
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by Pale Rider
Goodnight! That sounds like some contorted logic. Check cashers, car title lenders, Carshields, rent-to-own businesses preying on the underbanked, are in fact, pursuing a CD purpose. Just my opinion, but I don't see the FDIC accepting this explanation for qualifying a loan as CD.

Glad I'm not crazy over here.

Return to Top