Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2262992 - 11/30/21 05:06 PM HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
We have a loan to a Borrower (entity) to reimburse them for the purchase of a single family residence with a couple guest houses that they will rent out to a 12-bed treatment center for those with moderate/severe mental health issues. The lease will be for at least the entire term of the loan (7 years). If the Borrower themselves were the treatment center or related to it, I can see the case where we would NOT report this loan on the HMDA LAR. However, with it only being rented to such a business, would this now be HMDA reportable, or would it still not be because to whom they are renting?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2262996 - 11/30/21 05:28 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We have a loan to a Borrower (entity) to reimburse them for the purchase of a single family residence

Not a purchase - not a refinance - what would you report it as?

Return to Top
#2263025 - 11/30/21 09:15 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
If a lien is not being paid off, it would fall under the category of 4 (Other). That is if it is reportable. What do you think based on the circumstances?

Return to Top
#2263028 - 11/30/21 09:37 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Your loan sounds as if it is business purpose, and "other" isn't an option for business purpose loans.

Return to Top
#2263030 - 11/30/21 09:43 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Or at least.....you say the loan is to an "entity"...which i'm assuming is an LLC or the like....and i don't know how LLC's ever get loans that are for consumer purpose. If my assumption about it being an LLC is correct, then i would think that any loan for the "replenishing of funds" would by definition have to be so that those funds would be available for future business endeavors, thus making the loan business purpose.

Return to Top
#2263108 - 12/02/21 03:15 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center raitchjay
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
Although they rented the home to this treatment organization (unrelated to them) for a number of years, I imagine they may rent it to an individual in the future for personal/consumer use. Would this still result in it not being reported on the HMDA LAR?

Return to Top
#2263109 - 12/02/21 03:17 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
There's no HMDA purpose for this loan. It's not a purchase. It's not a refinance. It's not home improvement. It's business purpose and not eligible for an "other" purpose designation.

Return to Top
#2263113 - 12/02/21 03:26 PM Re: HMDA Reportable? Renting to Treatment Center Help! Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'm going to back up here......i really think you need to determine WHY the entity wants to reimburse its cash. If the answer to that question is "to make future purchases of 1-4 family units", then this could be reportable. IMHO, "replenishing cash" isn't really a reason to get a loan.....

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM