Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2263371 - 12/08/21 09:03 PM Consumer Construction Loans
Frosh Offline
My Bank would like to make two changes in Loan Policy for consumer construction loans. Any Fair Lending input or advise would be useful.

1. For TRID construction loans, my Bank would like to limit in loan policy its consumer construction loans to its assessment area and REMA only. This is for TRID construction loans only. If a consumer wants to apply for another loan type outside the Bank's assessment area or REMA, then that is still permissible

2. For any self-contracting construction loans, the Bank wants to add a reserve requirement in loan policy to have the consumer deposit 15% of construction costs into a DDA account. The DDA account would be a separate account outside the construction line of credit. The purpose of the 15% reserve requirement is that some Bank customers need draws between Bank inspections to pay sub-contractors in between Bank inspections and draws. Currently, customers may only draw on their line after a Bank inspection based on a completion percentage of the construction.

Would imposing these consumer construction loan revisions in policy create any potential fair lending issues? Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2263372 - 12/08/21 09:09 PM Re: Consumer Construction Loans Frosh
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
2 is no problem

1 might be depending on your assessment area or REMA - redlining does not stop at some imaginary line that you choose to draw on a map.

Return to Top
#2263373 - 12/08/21 09:13 PM Re: Consumer Construction Loans Frosh
Frosh Offline
Randy, thanks for the input.

Return to Top
#2263473 - 12/10/21 06:38 PM Re: Consumer Construction Loans Frosh
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Even for #2, you should consider the possibility of disparate impact. While disparate impact is not, in itself, illegal discrimination, for any loan policy you should be prepared to show how it addresses a business necessity and should have considered if there are other less discriminatory ways to achieve that objective.

Return to Top
#2263474 - 12/10/21 06:45 PM Re: Consumer Construction Loans Frosh
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I guess I am hard pressed to see how, if the determining factor is whether or not someone is acting as a self-contractor when building their own home, would trigger any sort of disparate impact?

Return to Top
#2263610 - 12/14/21 04:02 PM Re: Consumer Construction Loans Frosh
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Not saying it is a likely risk, just a risk that should be considered. Say, for example, in their market a majority of the self-contractor borrowers are minorities (or any other protected class). Now there is a distinct possibility that your policy, even applied without regard to race, may have a negative impact requiring larger reserves for minority borrowers. I'd want to see a risk assessment for the policy change that demonstrates consideration of the possibility of disparate impact (and to your point, probably assesses that risk as very low). To me, sound fair lending governance says ANY loan policy change should consider all possibilities of fair lending exposure.

Return to Top