Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2202489 - 01/09/19 08:48 PM Title of control prong individual
J_G Offline
Gold Star
We recently had a BSA audit and the auditor put a recommendation in our final report to be more specific with the Title of the individual in the control prong section of the beneficial ownership form. Things like "Member" and "Owner" are not specific enough. Just curious what kinds of titles are specific enough and what you all are seeing. Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2202491 - 01/09/19 08:50 PM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
We have Member and Owner provided for titles. We have not received criticism as of yet.

Return to Top
#2202505 - 01/09/19 09:23 PM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Did your auditor just not have anything better to write in the report? The entire purpose of beneficial ownership is to enable law enforcement to know who they need to talk to about an entity. There aren't any other Brian Crows in my company so whether I am listed as "Member" or "Executive Vice President" I'm going to be pretty easy to find.

Internal audit, outsourced audit, etc.?

Return to Top
#2202531 - 01/10/19 03:45 AM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I'm not sure what the auditor thinks would be more specific?

Also, did the auditor provide a cite or source for this recommendation?

Return to Top
#2202536 - 01/10/19 01:49 PM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Just playing the big bad auditor side, if a legal title is different elsewhere why would you not use it for consistancy?

FWIW: Member may be the best title for a LLC and owner may be best for Sole P. but for corporations there may be better titles.

And congratulations if this is all that they found good job.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2263627 - 12/14/21 07:59 PM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
FSLICBanker Offline
North Carolina
It's been almost 3 years since the last post on this subject - listing the word "member" as the individual with significant responsibilities for managing the legal entity customer - and I wanted to check in to see if anyone has received any additional comments on this issue from an examiner or auditor. It would be a picky finding to be sure but who knows when someone a tad overzealous could opine that the FAQ uses the term “examples of the types of positions” and be critical that the term “member” isn't a “high level official in the legal entity”. Oh well, it's a slow Tuesday.

Return to Top
#2263639 - 12/14/21 11:54 PM Re: Title of control prong individual J_G
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
I don't think there is a distinction between members and "owners" of LLCs, so I can't imagine someone questioning that a member identified on a BO certification didn't have a sufficient level to be named.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z