Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2263993 - 12/23/21 05:47 PM Cash limit at after hours Drive Thru
CindyS Offline
100 Club
Illinois
We have a limit on how much cash can be given out to each customer by our drive up tellers. This includes cashed checks and withdrawals. We do have the policy posted at the drive up windows.

We've had this same policy for years and I know that limiting cash at the drive thru is a common practice with other banks as well. So, I think I know the answer to this, but it's always so hard to prove that a rule doesn't exist.

We have a customer that is very upset and making threats to file complaints claiming that we are violating federal law by not allowing her access to all her funds in her demand deposit account, even after regular lobby hours are closed.

Can anyone help me confirm my belief that no such law or regulation exists?

Thank you for any input!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2264001 - 12/23/21 08:29 PM Re: Cash limit at after hours Drive Thru CindyS
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless she needs to use the drive thru as a reasonable accommodation because of a disability, you can set your own rules. If she wants that much cash she can come into the lobby during normal business hours.

The best thing that I can think of doing at this point is to notify her of account closure and cut her a cashier's check. Be done with this PITA.

Return to Top
#2264041 - 12/27/21 07:26 PM Re: Cash limit at after hours Drive Thru rlcarey
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted by rlcarey
The best thing that I can think of doing at this point is to notify her of account closure and cut her a cashier's check.

And THAT gives her access to all her funds -- somewhere else.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2264046 - 12/27/21 08:22 PM Re: Cash limit at after hours Drive Thru CindyS
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Agreed with John and Randy. In addition to what they said you can always remind the customer they have access to all their funds but that doesn't mean it will be in cash. They can write a check, use debit card, etc... good luck.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett