Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2264378 - 01/06/22 05:08 PM CD-Interest accrued during grace period
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Scenario: Auto renewal CD with a 10 day grace period for withdrawals without penalty. It is disclosed that if the account is closed before interest is credited, the customer will be paid the accrued interest. If the customer redeems the CD any day during the grace period, is the customer owed the interest that is accruing for those days? Or if the CD is redeemed anytime during the grace period, does this mean that technically the CD didn't auto renew, so they aren't really earning interest for the new term?

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2264381 - 01/06/22 05:12 PM Re: CD-Interest accrued during grace period Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Never mind - I found my answer -

5. Maturity of time accounts. Institutions are not required to pay interest after time accounts mature. (See 12 CFR Part 217, Regulation Q of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, for limitations on duration of interest payments.)

Examples include:

i. During a grace period offered for an automatically renewable time account, if consumers decide during that period not to renew the account.

Return to Top
#2264498 - 01/08/22 02:16 AM Re: CD-Interest accrued during grace period Likes to Comply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Always check state law (including case law) when an issue touches on contract compliance or fair business practices. Just because federal laws/regs don't stand in the way, that doesn't trump state law.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett