Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2264473 - 01/07/22 08:46 PM Direct Dispute
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
We received a direct dispute - customer is requesting the loan note and payment history be sent to her. She provided the loan number and social security number. However, the address does not match our records. We have tried to reach out to her by phone to verify the new address but haven't had any luck. We are not sure whether to send the loan documentation to the address listed on the dispute since we don't know if it's her address. Can we respond stating that we require verification of identity and address? or do we have to send it to the address provided because we have a loan number and SS to consider it a valid dispute. The loan was charged-off.

Thank you

Return to Top
#2264480 - 01/07/22 09:01 PM Re: Direct Dispute banker-12
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you have a doubt as to whether this is actually the consumer, I believe you are well within your rights to confirm before sending any information. What is she disputing?

Return to Top
#2264485 - 01/07/22 09:22 PM Re: Direct Dispute banker-12
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
She is disputing the accuracy of the payment history and threatening legal action/filing complaints if we don't send the documentation.

Thank You

Return to Top
#2264486 - 01/07/22 09:29 PM Re: Direct Dispute banker-12
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Did she sign her request? Can you compare the signature with one on file? Otherwise, I would send her a certified letter that says you would be glad to provide the requested information as soon as possible, but since her address is changed, that you need verification that the request for information actually came from her. You are not going to mail out such personal information without confirmation.

Return to Top
#2264489 - 01/07/22 09:46 PM Re: Direct Dispute banker-12
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
No, did not sign it. Will do just that. Thank you for your assistance.

Return to Top
#2265042 - 01/22/22 11:20 PM Re: Direct Dispute banker-12
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
We get letters every now and then from what we believe to be a credit monitoring agency. Some of the letters do not mention
details of the dispute and you can clearly tell they are a form letter of some sort because they site the FCRA regulations to a tee.

We do as rlcarey suggests and send the borrower a letter stating what we need in order to continue with the dispute request such as, signature, updated mailing address, and ask what specifically are they disputing. This letter is mailed to the address we have on file. We also include a copy of the dispute letter we received and postage paid envelope. I can tell you we have never received anything back from the borrower once we send that letter (not even a phone call). The letters don't get return to us as non-deliverable so that would be an indication that address we have is valid. On our spreadsheet we keep for recording dispute information for compliance examines we mark the dispute as; borrower did not respond to our request for more information. Every once in a while the dispute may show up a month later in eOscar and we respond accordingly.
Last edited by jlroberts; 01/22/22 11:21 PM.
Return to Top