Thread Options
#2264924 - 01/20/22 02:46 PM LAR - subcategory marked only
Dodge Offline
100 Club
Customer marked Mexican on the GMI but did not mark Hispanic. How do we report on the LAR? Leave it blank or enter Hispanic?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2264926 - 01/20/22 02:56 PM Re: LAR - subcategory marked only Dodge
Inherent_Risk Offline
Gold Star
From appendix B

8. You must report the ethnicity, race, and sex of an applicant as provided by the applicant. For example, if an applicant selects the “Asian” box the institution reports “Asian” for the race of the applicant. Only an applicant may self-identify as being of a particular Hispanic or Latino subcategory (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Other Hispanic or Latino) or of a particular Asian subcategory (Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Other Asian) or of a particular Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander subcategory (Native Hawaiian, Guamanian or Chamorro, Samoan, Other Pacific Islander) or of a particular American Indian or Alaska Native enrolled or principal tribe. An applicant may select an ethnicity or race subcategory even if the applicant does not select an aggregate ethnicity or aggregate race category. For example, if an applicant selects only the “Mexican” box, the institution reports “Mexican” for the ethnicity of the applicant but does not also report “Hispanic or Latino.”

Return to Top
#2264927 - 01/20/22 02:58 PM Re: LAR - subcategory marked only Dodge
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I would report what the customer marked - Code 11 for Mexican.

Return to Top
#2264928 - 01/20/22 03:13 PM Re: LAR - subcategory marked only Dodge
Dodge Offline
100 Club
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2265181 - 01/25/22 08:24 PM Re: LAR - subcategory marked only Dodge
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Just reading this today.

The important part of the cite from appendix B is "...as provided by the applicant."

I would check how this application was taken before I'd go with the advice above.
If this application was taken face to face or by telephone, ask the LO what the borrower answered for the ethnicity question. You cannot have blanks on telephone or face to face apps. If the borrower opted not to reply, then the I do not wish to provide box should have been checked.

The only way you can leave ethnicity blank is if this application was taken by mail, fax or internet.

Return to Top