Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2265072 - 01/24/22 06:14 PM Cryptocurrency Fraud
TennesseeFlash Offline
New Poster
What are Financial Institutions doing with their debit and credit card programs with regard to purchases that their customers are making at cryptocurrency exchanges (such as Coinbase). Are they being restricted? If so, to what extent? (Blocking Outright?)

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2265074 - 01/24/22 06:28 PM Re: Cryptocurrency Fraud TennesseeFlash
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, Coinbase I did not think allowed credit cards as a method of payment and to use a debit card requires ID verification and other two factor identification processes. Most major exchanges are the same.

Return to Top
#2265095 - 01/24/22 07:55 PM Re: Cryptocurrency Fraud TennesseeFlash
Amy S Offline
100 Club
I was just browsing bitcoin info online. Coinbase does accept debit cards. As far as what I am doing, the answer would be nothing. It is not an illegal transaction or practice. We were tracking who was using it and have a pretty good customer base to start with as far as if FinCEN or FFIEC eventually do anything with it. Any 'large' transactions would still be reviewed with my daily reporting. If this is what folks want to do with their money, that's on them.

Return to Top
#2265105 - 01/24/22 09:24 PM Re: Cryptocurrency Fraud TennesseeFlash
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We don't block or restrict bitcoin. We did tighten some debit card rules this morning as we've had two reported cases of fraudulent purchases with debit cards today.

Return to Top