Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2265322 - 01/27/22 04:48 PM Golf Balls
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
Our marketing team has a request from one of the lenders to print golf balls with our logo on one side and a message on the other that says to take the "found" golf ball to a local restaurant (one that is our customer) for a free drink. What marketing restrictions/regulations do we need to be aware of in order to execute this request?

Return to Top
Marketing
#2265323 - 01/27/22 04:59 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The only thing I can think of is just don't lose a dozen balls during a round of golf, as if someone finds them all, you might have a drunk driver issue on your hands. smile

Return to Top
#2265324 - 01/27/22 05:01 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
That made my day! I am being told that we can't do this because of joint marketing restrictions. That seems a little extreme to me. Can you help me understand if I am missing something?

Return to Top
#2265336 - 01/27/22 05:55 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless this is a settlement servicer provider on RESPA related loans, what joint marketing restrictions? And what joint marketing is taking place? You mean the bank normally pours drinks for its customers?

This is no different than "open an account a get a free ticket for a drink at Joe's". If Joe wants to give you a bunch of free tickets to help promote his business - where is the problem - outside of encouraging alcoholism in your community?

Return to Top
#2265347 - 01/27/22 06:33 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I agree with Randy on the marketing points, but I just want to say this is a really fun idea. If you don't mind my asking, how do you plan to distribute the golf balls?

Not that I plan to be there and grab a few for myself, just curious.................

Return to Top
#2265361 - 01/27/22 07:18 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, if it was me - you would just have to be in the fairway to the right of the hole that I am playing, and a few might fall pretty close to you. smile

I too thought this was both interesting and wondered how they planned to distribute them.

Return to Top
#2265365 - 01/27/22 07:37 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
SteveDave Offline
100 Club
I wish I could say you could collect my golf balls in the fairway and not 20 yards to the left of the tee box...

Not to pile on here but I am also interested to hear how they are distributed if Dollars & Sense would not mind disclosing.

Cool idea

*Edit* I re-read and see the humor now in your post Randy.
Last edited by SteveDave; 01/27/22 07:38 PM.
Return to Top
#2265415 - 01/28/22 03:43 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
Our staff will golf with them at tournaments and such. Trust me, if you followed me around the course (and had a way to get into the water) a free drink would be waiting for you.

Return to Top
#2265456 - 01/28/22 09:26 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Would the restaurant turn them into the bank after the drink so the bank could recycle? (with client information) Letting the golfer keep them could be expensive

Return to Top
#2265458 - 01/28/22 09:46 PM Re: Golf Balls dollars & sense
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I suppose it need not be an alcoholic drink and the person has the option to keep or cash in the ball. I'm not sure how much PR the bank will get but it may be fun. I'm not a golfer so I suppose I wouldn't win unless they are distributed elsewhere to be found. But I'm in the camp that says so long as the bank wants to co-brand with the restaurant there is no regulatory issue here.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2265490 - 01/31/22 03:50 PM Re: Golf Balls Rocky P
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
Yes, they would return them to the bank to use again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker