Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2266186 - 02/11/22 03:11 PM Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
Management is looking to implement an all employee mandatory training day for one of the federal bank holidays, most likely Columbus Day. We know there are other banks that do this and have done this for years. If you work at one of these banks, we are interested in hearing about how this is structured, what training topics are covered/discussed, if it is all day/half day, etc. Would also be interested in hearing about what worked well and maybe not so well for your training day. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2266203 - 02/11/22 05:24 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We have done it a few times since I have been in my house. We have the creators of our account agreement come in and go through each section. So we would get Reg CC training, Reg D training, Reg E training - everything our membership agreement addresses. Tellers would attend the morning session which covered all the things pertinent to tellers and the rest of us would attend all day (usually from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.). It's probably the best training I've ever had - or at least the most well-rounded.

Return to Top
#2266249 - 02/11/22 10:00 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
ssteve Offline
New Poster
We are a seven branch community Bank <$1B. This has worked well for us in the past. Our format kills several birds with one stone. We usually do this on President's day. We start at the session 8AM, with a full breakfast for those who want it at 7AM. This is the only working meeting for all staff. Most compliance (general and position specific) training is ABA web-based and done throughout the year. At the all staff meeting we hit cybersecurity hard, since this has both high likelihood and high potential risk impact. Other timely topics include new products, new regulation, MRB's etc. We also have had an outside speaker on various topics. Senior management highlights the year just ended and the forecast for the coming year. Bonus check stubs (direct deposit) is done then. Overall it is a time for training and morale building combined. We're usually done by noon and the staff gets the 4 hours in PTO to use another time, and the afternoon as holiday pay. Covid has obviously had an impact the past two years.

Return to Top
#2266292 - 02/14/22 04:59 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
At a prior financial institution we utilized Columbus Day for an all day staff training. It usually ended after lunch, not taking the entire day. It worked out rather well. They had initially started with Martin Luther King day, but the weather in Michigan did not always play nice, so they changed it to a holiday that was not impacted by snow.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2266376 - 02/15/22 04:36 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I have to be honest, I have never heard of this happening in my 30+ year banking career. Using a federal holiday to make staff come in for training?? They'd be a massive revolt at my institution if we even mentioned something like this.

Return to Top
#2266389 - 02/15/22 05:28 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day P*Q
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by P*Q
I have to be honest, I have never heard of this happening in my 30+ year banking career. Using a federal holiday to make staff come in for training?? They'd be a massive revolt at my institution if we even mentioned something like this.
we don't close on all federal holidays (we get a float day), so staff in wire and ach have no "work" to perform as both systems are closed by FRB. so, we use one of those holidays to perform required training and they take the other as their float day.

Return to Top
#2266399 - 02/15/22 06:59 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Same here PQ. I could not imagine trying to get anyone onboard with this even though Happy's solution seems reasonable.

Return to Top
#2266403 - 02/15/22 07:36 PM Re: Bank Holiday Day - Used as Training Day TeamComply
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
That used to go on here for years. As soon as the one VP that instituted it left, so did the mandatory training day. Of note, we were NOT open on fed holidays and there was no additional day off given.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett