Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2266382 - 02/15/22 04:56 PM Purchase to fix and sell
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
This is my next-to-last loan to review and I am just about brain dead.

Loan has a 15 year term and is a balloon. Purpose is to purchase an existing single family residence property, do cosmetic repairs, and sell it, paying off the loan with sale proceeds.

The borrower has no plans to rent it; the sole purpose is to flip it.

My initial conclusion is that this IS reportable, as he is purchasing a dwelling and it will be collateralized by the purchased property. It is not being treated as a construction loan; the financing is already "permanent". It is an investment property, although the investment is only to turn a profit on resale.

Am I right on this?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2266384 - 02/15/22 05:07 PM Re: Purchase to fix and sell Melissa S
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, I guess if that is the intention, why the heck did the loan officer make them a 15-year loan? Sounds like somebody played games to get them a better rate/lower fees on a higher risk loan. Great example of how fair lending issues arise in the non-consumer arena.

But regardless, I would classify this a permanent loan regardless of what the stated plans were for the future.

Return to Top
#2266393 - 02/15/22 05:56 PM Re: Purchase to fix and sell rlcarey
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
Your guess (the 15 year term) would be as good as mine! The borrower ultimately withdrew and went with a HELOC instead
Last edited by Melissa S; 02/15/22 05:56 PM.

Return to Top
#2266437 - 02/16/22 02:24 PM Re: Purchase to fix and sell Melissa S
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted by Melissa S
My initial conclusion is that this IS reportable, as he is purchasing a dwelling and it will be collateralized by the purchased property. It is not being treated as a construction loan; the financing is already "permanent". It is an investment property, although the investment is only to turn a profit on resale. Am I right on this?
I agree with you.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2266441 - 02/16/22 02:47 PM Re: Purchase to fix and sell Adam Witmer
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
Thank you RL and Adam.

Return to Top