Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2266883 - 02/25/22 03:53 PM Extended Rate Lock
Amy Offline
New Poster
We are considering extended rate locks in this rising rate environment. The investor requires an upfront 1% fee that we would pass onto the borrower and that fee refunded to the borrower if they close the loan. If the borrower is denied they would also get their fee back. If they withdraw the fee is not refunded. We would charge the 1% fee on the LE and provide a corresponding lender credit. There is some concern this would be a fair lending issue. I cannot find evidence that it would be, can anyone confirm that?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2266896 - 02/25/22 05:07 PM Re: Extended Rate Lock Amy
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What fair lending concern do you have? Do a certain class of individuals withdraw more than others? Will you not have a rock-solid agreement in place in your written lock agreement which outlines the requirements to be rebated this fee?

Return to Top
#2266899 - 02/25/22 05:42 PM Re: Extended Rate Lock rlcarey
Amy Offline
New Poster
The concern is when we don’t charge this consistently, there could be questions on why would you charge some applicants and not others. For example, a good borrower that withdraws and the lender decides to waive the charge and refunds the money to this borrower who withdrew but we didn't refund for other borrowers. Procedures would state that we do not refund on any withdraw files.

Return to Top
#2266903 - 02/25/22 07:02 PM Re: Extended Rate Lock Amy
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - that would be a problem. If you institute a fee like that, there can be no waivers.

Return to Top