Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2267631 - 03/14/22 08:45 PM BSA Officer Appointment
Cguru Offline
Hello!

I was under the impression that the BSA Officer needed to be re-approved or affirmed annually along with the BSA Policy and Risk Assessment. However, I cannot find anything that requires this to be done. We are NCUA regulated, so can we appoint or approve the BSA Officer only if there are changes to personnel or should this still be done annually and why?

Thank you

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2267632 - 03/14/22 09:40 PM Re: BSA Officer Appointment Cguru
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
The BSA Officer must be appointed by the Board but there is no requirement that they be re-appointed periodically (unless it says otherwise in your policy).

Return to Top
#2267640 - 03/14/22 11:11 PM Re: BSA Officer Appointment Cguru
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree with Colorado AML that there is just an initial designation requirement, and a specific annual approval is not a rule. That said, many financial institutions do this on an annual basis just because they can. That said, I would check your policy to make sure it doesn't require an annual approval. I doubt it, but there could also be a state law that requires this, so that might be worth checking as well.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2267643 - 03/15/22 11:43 AM Re: BSA Officer Appointment Cguru
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Check your corporate organizational documents and talk to your legal counsel. I have seen some chartered banks in which they are required to annually appoint all officers.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z