Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2265974 - 02/08/22 04:52 PM MLA site down
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
The MLA site has been down for the past 2 days. What do we do in this situation. We have applications pending waiting on the site to come back up. Do we document the file that the site was down? Do a screen shot?

Thanks,

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2266037 - 02/08/22 10:38 PM Re: MLA site down banker-12
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
For MLA searches, you can also rely upon the MLA search that is built into credit reports from the nationwide credit reporting agencies, if you have this set-up on your credit reports. We rely on MLA searches that are built into our credit reports, which is a safe harbor method stated within the Act (MLA) itself. We have also recently encountered the SCRA DOD search database being down the past couple of days, but unfortunately there is NO credit report/built in search option for the SCRA database.

Return to Top
#2266041 - 02/09/22 01:50 AM Re: MLA site down TeamComply
theloanbug Offline
Platinum Poster
Will screenshot work and documentation?

Return to Top
#2266046 - 02/09/22 12:19 PM Re: MLA site down banker-12
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am not sure that a screenshot would be much of a defense if you end up violating the law.

Return to Top
#2266057 - 02/09/22 02:27 PM Re: MLA site down banker-12
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
As Randy stated a screenshot the system was down will not give you protection for violating the law.

As TeamComply stated there is no credit bureau option for the SCRA and to the best of my knowledge neither the MLA or the SCRA provides an exemption for a FI not complying if the DoD systems are down.

If push comes to shove then the FI will have to make a risk decision and proceed from there with the knowledge they have no safe harbor, or other protection, if the law ends up being violated.

Return to Top
#2267272 - 03/07/22 10:58 PM Re: MLA site down banker-12
dkm1982 Offline
Our bank policy/procedures are to pull a MLA search on ALL borrowers. If they have a military status, we write the loan at 6% or less regardless if the borrower has an "Active" status. With that being said, would we need to pull a SCRA search? Is that an requirement that we obtain a SCRA search?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2267280 - 03/08/22 02:55 PM Re: MLA site down dkm1982
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted by dkm1982
Our bank policy/procedures are to pull a MLA search on ALL borrowers. If they have a military status, we write the loan at 6% or less regardless if the borrower has an "Active" status. With that being said, would we need to pull a SCRA search? Is that an requirement that we obtain a SCRA search?

Thanks!
MLA requires more than just a specific interest rate. In fact, the 6% rate you mention is an SCRA requirement that only applies to pre-service debt. MLA requires calculation and disclosure of a MAPR, which includes things that are not included in the APR. It also caps MAPR at a maximum of 36%. It also requires specific oral and written disclosures be provided. You should pull a MLA determination before making any consumer purpose loan covered under MLA.

SCRA, on the other hand, provides for interest rate relief to a rate no higher than 6%, but that is only for pre-service debt. SCRA does have protections in the event of default and collections, foreclosure, or repossession activities. These protections apply to all debt as long as the borrower is on active duty (or for a specified time after active duty for certain types of debt). You should pull a determination of SCRA status before undertaking any collection, foreclosure, or repossession activities.

Return to Top
#2267370 - 03/09/22 05:34 PM Re: MLA site down RVFlyboy
dkm1982 Offline
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2267679 - 03/15/22 06:39 PM Re: MLA site down dkm1982
Anonymous Offline
100 Club
Is it okay to pull the DOD for "ALL" loans? I thought we had to have reason to pull DOD, such as a covered loan.

Return to Top
#2267682 - 03/15/22 07:02 PM Re: MLA site down banker-12
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you don't pull DOD for all loan applicants then how do you know you have a covered loan?

We have the check set-up to be performed with our credit reports.

Return to Top
#2267688 - 03/15/22 07:23 PM Re: MLA site down Dan Persfull
Anonymous Offline
100 Club
We determine if the loan type is covered under MLA then if applicable pull the DOD. This would be so much easier if we could just pull it for every loan.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z