Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2267732 - 03/16/22 02:50 PM Is changing the clocks going to die???
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
So I read an article this morning stating that the Senate passed an law that would make daylight savings permanent! I sure hope this happens, I personally hate the change each year. What do you think about it?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2267733 - 03/16/22 02:54 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
I'm not a fan of 8:30 sunrises in December/January. Yes, it stinks to make the changes but if we are eliminating the changes, standard needs to be where we end up settling, despite the lost evening activities in the summer.

Read one fitness blog that indicated the controllers are wanting more money spent and a depressed citizenry with evening hours of daylight whereas the morning hours of daylight are more frequently used for "self-enrichment" (for example, exercising, meditation, etc). Hadn't ever thought of it and it might be a garbage theory but it's out there, at least.

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#2267735 - 03/16/22 03:18 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Yeah, i wouldn't be a fan of permanent daylight saving time, for the reason Tater stated. I say just keep things rolling like they are and we'll all continue to gripe and moan occasionally and survive like we always have.

Return to Top
#2267736 - 03/16/22 03:26 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I saw an article this morning that talked about when we made DST permanent in 1974 to save energy, which I vaguely remember. It said that people didn't like the dark mornings in the winter, so it was changed back the following year. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this attempt.

Return to Top
#2267737 - 03/16/22 03:26 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I hate driving home in the dark, so they should push it back 2 hours and leave like that forever. 90% of the time i am driving to work in the dark anyway, so i don't care about morning hours.

and technically, the Senate passed a Bill, it would not become Law until signed by the President.

Return to Top
#2267738 - 03/16/22 03:41 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
one deer Offline
Any where but work
I dislike the dark mornings, but in 5 years and 4 months they won't matter anymore because I won't be getting up at the butt crack of dawn for work. I look forward to the time change in the fall because my husband is a farmer/rancher and he gets to come home earlier because of the earlier setting sun; I ceremoniously say good bye to him every spring when we "spring forward" since I usually don't see him driving into the yard until dark thirty.

Return to Top
#2267742 - 03/16/22 03:58 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I would like for them to leave it as it is right now. I love springing forward but hate falling back! I love having more daylight in the evenings to get outside and enjoy the day a little. Nothing like coming home from work, fixing dinner, cleaning up the mess and it's dark!. I love daylight until almost 10:00 pm!!! smile

Return to Top
#2267747 - 03/16/22 04:45 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
I remember the change in '74. Most of the complaints were due to children walking to school in the dark. I don't ever see any kids walking to school anymore, so maybe that won't be the pain point this time.

Return to Top
#2267748 - 03/16/22 04:49 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Kids still have to hang out at bus stops though......

Return to Top
#2267749 - 03/16/22 04:52 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The extra hour of sunlight in the winter time doesn't mean much to me.....i don't do a lot of outdoor work in the winter. I do tons in the spring and summer, when DST is in effect. As i said above, i'm in favor of leaving it alone.

Return to Top
#2267755 - 03/16/22 06:14 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
There's multiple studies that indicate a significantly higher rate of heart attacks and strokes in the week-2 weeks following a time change. I'm glad DST will be sticking around. I'd much rather have more light in the evenings after work. I expect President Biden will sign the bill with no hesitation. There's strong bipartisan support for the bill in the House and Senate.

Return to Top
#2267763 - 03/16/22 06:38 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? CompliantOkie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by CompliantOkie
There's multiple studies that indicate a significantly higher rate of heart attacks and strokes in the week-2 weeks following a time change. I'm glad DST will be sticking around. I'd much rather have more light in the evenings after work. I expect President Biden will sign the bill with no hesitation. There's strong bipartisan support for the bill in the House and Senate.
i wonder what those outlier states that don't observe will do

Return to Top
#2267779 - 03/16/22 07:27 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
According to the Bill, Arizona and Hawaii (the only 2 states that do not observe Daylight Saving Time) will be allowed to remain on standard time.

Return to Top
#2267780 - 03/16/22 07:30 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So - the question remains, if they make Daylight Time permanent, is that then Standard Time smile

Return to Top
#2267787 - 03/16/22 08:07 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? Purple Pride
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by Purple Pride
According to the Bill, Arizona and Hawaii (the only 2 states that do not observe Daylight Saving Time) will be allowed to remain on standard time.
but what about Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and American Samoa

Return to Top
#2267793 - 03/16/22 08:37 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
From Reuters: The bill would allow Arizona and Hawaii, which do not observe daylight saving time, to remain on standard time as well as American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Return to Top
#2267794 - 03/16/22 08:39 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? rlcarey
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted by rlcarey
So - the question remains, if they make Daylight Time permanent, is that then Standard Time smile

Ha! I like it.

The bill mentions the territories that Happy listed and they will stay the same that they are which is similar to AZ and Hawaii

Return to Top
#2267807 - 03/17/22 12:09 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
SteveDave Offline
100 Club
I am on the fence with the issue and don't mind it being either way but I am very interested to see once it is settled who is upset with the decision. I had not heard of what the others referenced above with the 1974 change. I appreciate the new knowledge. It is fun to watch history happen in live time.

Return to Top
#2267810 - 03/17/22 12:50 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm completely in favor of setting the clocks and leaving it alone for good. I'm not even overly picky about which direction we set... Just leave it alone!!!

Return to Top
#2267843 - 03/17/22 08:36 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I just want it to stay the same all year around. My preference is to have more light in the evenings after work.

Return to Top
#2267850 - 03/18/22 12:02 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't care which way they go, but let's just be consistent.

Return to Top
#2267862 - 03/18/22 12:55 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I was a junior in high school in '74 when it was tried. And our high school was so overcrowded that we went split sessions with juniors and seniors going in the mornings and freshmen and sophs going in the afternoons. It was still pitch black night when we were going to school in the mornings. Most scientific studies show that standard time, not daylight saving time, aligns most closely with the body's natural sleep cycle.

Return to Top
#2267866 - 03/18/22 01:53 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
TaraSue Offline
I go to they gym at 5 in the morning. I only have a few weeks when I'm actually waking up and the sun is already up. I absolutely HATE driving home at night, though. I was in high school last time around and honestly it didn't bother me too much. I remember walking to school (several miles) to get there for before school activities and it was dark, but I had four younger siblings. I enjoyed the quiet time!

Return to Top
#2267908 - 03/18/22 06:38 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? RockChucker, CAMS
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I absolutely despise Standard time, but I am not sure I want to see it changed. I think it all depends on where you are in your time zone how you feel about it.

I have family on the very Eastern edge of the time zone and in December, when the days are shortest, sunrise is about 7:15 and sunset is about 3:45 (Standard time). Not sure about the tradeoff of staying on Savings time of having sunset at 4:45 if sunrise is 8:15 (9:15 on the Western side of the time zone). Conversely, in June, when the days are the longest, it starts getting light about 3:30 AM and is dark by 9:30 PM (Savings time). Staying on Standard time it would be getting light at 2:30 AM and dark by 8:30 PM. Great for the farmers maybe, but not so great for everyone else.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2268966 - 04/12/22 05:24 PM Re: Is changing the clocks going to die??? raitchjay
Tryin 2 Comply Offline
New Poster
I'm ok with it staying like it is, BUT if we are going to a standard I'd prefer DST all year long...

Return to Top