Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2268139 - 03/24/22 02:43 AM CRA credit - donation?
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
If we donate to a non-profit that serves low to moderate income and they put our name on a banner or in a pamphlet does that exclude it from being counted as a CRA donation?

For example, housing authority that provides housing for low income individuals puts on a fund raising event in which we donate funds to to help support their fund raiser. They put our name in a pamphlet is that considered PR and not applicable for CRA credit?

Donate to a school where majority of students receive free or reduced lunches and they put our name on a banner does that not count?

I guess the controllers listed it on their list as "PR" for public relations and now the examiners are saying it doesn't count.

Return to Top
CRA
#2268147 - 03/24/22 01:16 PM Re: CRA credit - donation? Baker
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
I would say a majority of CD donations have a secondary purpose of PR. Assuming these are otherwise CD donations where the donors are listed somewhere, I am curious what they are pointing to in excluding these items.

Return to Top
#2268149 - 03/24/22 01:24 PM Re: CRA credit - donation? Baker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would be a little confused also. For what other purpose does a business give a charitable donation if it is not for "public relations". I fail to see how an accounting entry title has any impact on the nature of the donation. If you give a group $5,000 and then they happen to thank you in a brochure that they produced, I find it hard to believe that nullifies the donation.

Return to Top
#2268641 - 04/04/22 02:58 PM Re: CRA credit - donation? Baker
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
You may have to show documentation, usually from the original request, that shows the money is being used to fund the work that the organization does. I also agree that almost all our donations have some sort of PR offer attached to them.

However, I would also point out this is a classic example of sharing too much information with the examiners. They really don't need to know which GL the accounting department charges a "donation" to. As CRA Officers we should be double checking everything we give to the examiners and making sure they are provided what they need, but not what they don't need.

Return to Top
#2268664 - 04/04/22 11:15 PM Re: CRA credit - donation? Baker
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
Don't worry about losing credit if your contribution is recognized by the organization. Ideally, you want that recognition to show to examiners.

Return to Top