Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2209596 - 03/26/19 08:08 PM accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP
river girl Offline
Diamond Poster
A one off where we collected the appraisal fee before receiving Intent to Proceed.

Do we cure? Do we eat the cost of the appraisal or do we notate, train and move on?

I couldn't find any guidance.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2209615 - 03/26/19 09:29 PM Re: accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP river girl
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
Did the loan close? If yes, no you don't eat it but you do notate and train. If it didn't close, you eat the fee.

Return to Top
#2209713 - 03/27/19 07:08 PM Re: accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP river girl
river girl Offline
Diamond Poster
It closed. So just a teachable moment and opportunity to strengthen controls but no cure to the consumer.
Thank you

Return to Top
#2209777 - 03/28/19 03:13 PM Re: accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP river girl
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
There is some potential legal risk overhang with this. It is technically a violation that cannot be corrected (unless you've got a time machine). As such, it could be raised as a defense, should the borrower default and you begin foreclosure proceedings. Just something to be aware of.

Return to Top
#2269605 - 04/25/22 08:13 PM Re: accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP river girl
OldSchoolBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
FL
Tacking onto this thread. We have been asked by a correspondent lender to consider funding a loan where the Originator accidentally collected the appraisal fee prior to the Intent to Proceed. The loan is approaching funding and they are concerned about sale ability in the secondary market (as well they should be).

Any further thoughts on this from experts on if this is a fatal flaw that can be a legit defense in foreclosure?

Thanks

Return to Top
#2269617 - 04/25/22 11:00 PM Re: accidently collected appraisal fee before ITP river girl
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A defense in a foreclosure - I think not. However, it is a fatal flaw from a potential civil liability standpoint. If the investor figures it out - it is coming back 100% guarantied.

Return to Top