Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2269919 - 05/02/22 05:29 PM Address on check
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a check payable to John Doe. The address under the name on the check matches father Doe. Son John Doe (who is also a customer, but has a different address, and is always overdrawn) is trying to cash the check without father Doe's signature. Is an address which was clearly there for mailing purposes part of the "pay to the order of" on a negotiable instrument? Can we rely on the address of a payee to avoid cashing the check?

What risk is there if we cash the check for John Doe son?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2269922 - 05/02/22 05:46 PM Re: Address on check Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
John Doe, Jr.? John Doe II? Pretty unusual for a father and son to have the exact same name.

#2269923 - 05/02/22 05:53 PM Re: Address on check rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Doe Sr. and John Doe Jr.

The problem is the check is made payable to only John Doe. This is not a personal check, but looks like some sort of reimbursement check that was mailed. The address under John Doe's name in the "pay to the order of field" matches Sr. But are we allowed to consider that when determining negotiability.

If this was a personal check, we would be none the wiser to which John Doe it was for.

#2269925 - 05/02/22 06:05 PM Re: Address on check Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Without the designation of Jr. or Sr., I would just refuse to accept the check for deposit or to cash. It sounds like you already have suspicions.

#2269937 - 05/02/22 07:39 PM Re: Address on check Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Without "Jr" as part of the payee name, the check is payable to the senior John Doe. The address is just more evidence it's not Junior's check.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2269950 - 05/02/22 08:57 PM Re: Address on check Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was going to echo what Mr. Burnett says; a check made simply to John Doe when there is a Sr. and Jr. defaults to Sr.

Being nosy: how much is the check?

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale