Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2269974 - 05/03/22 03:14 PM Pay at Pump transactions
TaraSue Offline
Sometimes it is the easy things I just can't seem to recall! In the last week, we have had several customers with fraudulent pay at pump transactions (code 5542) that we know are fraud. We've done provisional credit and final credit BUT I can't remember the liability limits. I know it used to be we would only go through the dispute process for transactions greater than $75, but all of these transactions are $150 and our processor is stating they are FI responsibility - below ChargeBack minimums. Clearly the numbers have changed, but I don't recall what they changed to (or when). I tried calling the processor and that was 20 minutes of my time that I will never get back. The person I spoke with was lovely, and I got to listen to dogs, cats, birds, and roosters while we were on the phone, but she just couldn't answer my question!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2269980 - 05/03/22 04:00 PM Re: Pay at Pump transactions TaraSue
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Here is Mastercard's limit:

The issuer cannot charge back an automated fuel dispenser transaction effected in the
U.S. region with:
A Mastercard Corporate Card®
Mastercard Corporate Executive Card®
Mastercard Corporate Fleet Card®
or Mastercard Corporate Purchasing Cardâ„¢

for any amount less than or equal to USD 350, if the transaction was identified in the authorization request with MCC 5542 (Fuel Dispenser, Automated), CAT 1, CAT 2, or CAT 6, and authorized by the issuer for USD 1.
If the transaction amount exceeds USD 350, the issuer may charge back only the difference between the transaction amount and USD 350.
Any other Mastercard card for any amount less than or equal to USD 125, if the transaction was identified in the authorization request with MCC 5542 (Fuel Dispenser, Automated), CAT 1, CAT 2, or CAT 6, and authorized by the issuer for USD 1.
If the transaction amount exceeds USD 125, the issuer may charge back only the difference between the transaction amount and USD 125.

For Visa:

A Status Check Authorization is equivalent to an Approval Response for an amount up to and including:
For a Transaction in the US Region: Either:For a Chip-initiated Transaction that contains a Partial Authorization indicator. either:
For a Visa Fleet Card Transaction, USD 350
For all other Transactions, USD 125

Return to Top
#2269981 - 05/03/22 04:04 PM Re: Pay at Pump transactions TaraSue
TaraSue Offline
Thank you, Brian, that helps. Looks like I may need to follow up with our processor.

Return to Top
#2269983 - 05/03/22 04:24 PM Re: Pay at Pump transactions TaraSue
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
If the limit is $125 as my research indicates, your chargeback rights on a $150 transaction would be limited to $25.

Return to Top
#2270005 - 05/03/22 08:33 PM Re: Pay at Pump transactions TaraSue
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Visa Business News had an article a few weeks ago on this topic. Because the price of fuel has been increasing, the AFD Authorization Limits are increasing to $175 on May 22, 2022. VBN article number AI11945.

Return to Top
#2270013 - 05/03/22 09:10 PM Re: Pay at Pump transactions TaraSue
TaraSue Offline
Thanks, Valley girl! Just when I think I've got things straight I have less than a month before it changes again. Guessing they probably won't lower them back down when prices lower!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z