Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2270719 - 05/20/22 04:59 PM Reconcilement on deposit account statements
dutchbltz Offline
100 Club
I feel like I recall something from an audit a number of years ago at a prior employer that I absolutely cannot identify the source of; despite my best efforts.

I recall there being some suggestion; or some requirement, regarding providing a way for the client to reconcile their deposit account on their periodic statement. Furthermore, I've done a good bit of market research on this and every single other Bank's statements I have looked at does have this on the back of them. (I've looked at at quite a few; including both community banks and some large banks).

Does this sound familiar to anyone; and can anyone tell me where I might find the *why* on this? (This long-ago memory thinks it had something to do with overdrafts and the overdraft guidance; but again, I cannot find it.)

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2270720 - 05/20/22 05:11 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements dutchbltz
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That has been customarily on the back of deposit account statements since I was still helping to hand type them in the 70's.

Return to Top
#2270728 - 05/20/22 06:18 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements rlcarey
dutchbltz Offline
100 Club
It is NOT on OUR statements though; and what I am trying to ascertain is whether there is a reason that it's on everyone elses' statements (other than 'tradition').

Return to Top
#2270731 - 05/20/22 06:34 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements dutchbltz
Oursisnottoreasonwhy Offline
Platinum Poster
Oursisnottoreasonwhy
Central Illinois
Normally there are other disclosures on the reconcilement page. I don't believe the reconcilement section is required but the other disclosures generally included are. Eg. Reg E.

Return to Top
#2270736 - 05/20/22 07:34 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements dutchbltz
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No requirements of which I am aware. It is there because it "always has been". I doubt anyone under 60 really reconciles their accounts with a pencil anymore. Anyone under 40 would probably have a deer in the headlights look if you paid them $5 to fill out that form on the back of the statement.

Return to Top
#2270749 - 05/20/22 10:10 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements dutchbltz
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The "how to reconcile" or a worksheet was to the bank's advantage and not any federal requirement I've ever seen or heard mentioned.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2270875 - 05/25/22 04:06 PM Re: Reconcilement on deposit account statements dutchbltz
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If as few as 1 percent of bank customers use that form each month, I would be amazed.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett