Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2270850 - 05/24/22 11:25 PM CTR noncustomer
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a noncustomer was cashing a check drawn on your bank and would provide all info except occupation, would your bank refuse the transaction or just file the CTR without that info?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2270858 - 05/25/22 02:08 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Refuse the transaction.

You are under no "obligation" to negotiate a check for a non-customer. It is a courtesy that is provided. Failure to comply with your financial institutions requirements to cash a check warrants a denial. I would also file a SAR.

On the flip side, a quick Google search (typically to LinkedIn) can usually find the information you're looking for.

#2270861 - 05/25/22 02:16 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

However, beware of potential wrongful dishonor issues if you refuse to cash a check drawn on your bank that meets all the necessary UCC requirements.

#2270867 - 05/25/22 02:50 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is absolutely no requirement to negotiate a check for cash for a non-customer.

#2270870 - 05/25/22 03:20 PM Re: CTR noncustomer rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm talking in the eyes of the drawer, not the payee.

#2270877 - 05/25/22 04:14 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am assuming the check is for a large amount of money. Otherwise, if the check is on your bank, and the customer has valid ID, why would you not cash it?

#2270881 - 05/25/22 05:08 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, for one, there is no upside for the bank to cash a check for a non-customer. If there becomes a problem, the bank has virtually no recourse against a non-customer. If you do not have something like this in your depositor's agreement, you have a poor attorney.

When a person who is not our loan or deposit customer asks us to cash a check or other item drawn on your account, we may impose additional requirements. These may include: a dollar limit above which we will not cash the check or a fee for cashing the check. We may also refuse to cash the check.

#2270921 - 05/26/22 02:54 PM Re: CTR noncustomer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you rlcarey! You are spot on, sir!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale