Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2270851 - 05/25/22 03:29 AM Mobile check deposit fraud
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did mobile check deposit September 17, 2021. In the beginning of January 2022 I received three letters from my bank stating they have debited my account for the amount of $84 384 and $798. They said these checks were deposited again in December to a Wells Fargo account; this is two months after I deposited the checks in my account via mobile check deposit so my bank wasn’t really helping me Wells Fargo couldn’t do much because I didn’t have a name so I called the comptroller of the currency to get involved. So my bank sends me three affidavits to fill out for the three checks what happens next when will I get my money back.
What I think happened was after I did mobile check deposit in September and my checks cleared I threw them in the trash. I believe somebody went through my trash found the checks and either deposited and or cash them their selves or had somebody with a Wells Fargo account do it. I can’t believe that with today’s technology they can’t see that these two checks had already been deposited two months prior. I feel like I am having to fight to get my money back when I did nothing wrong in the first place so we’ll just see what happens any feedback would be nice I had a Posis

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2270852 - 05/25/22 11:07 AM Re: Mobile check deposit fraud Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not sure there is that much anyone can say - you are going to have to follow the process to get your money back. Also, read your agreement for mobile deposit. It will tell you that you are responsible for the proper disposal of the checks. Throwing the checks in the trash is not proper disposal, so this problem is self-inflicted.

#2270864 - 05/25/22 02:25 PM Re: Mobile check deposit fraud Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

"What I think happened was after I did mobile check deposit in September and my checks cleared I threw them in the trash. I believe somebody went through my trash found the checks and either deposited and or cash them their selves or had somebody with a Wells Fargo account do it."

"I feel like I am having to fight to get my money back when I did nothing wrong in the first place."

Wow, if those two statements don't contradict each other. Unfortunately, your failure to properly file or dispose of the checks left you vulnerable for fraud.

#2270886 - 05/25/22 05:48 PM Re: Mobile check deposit fraud Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
These are the steps I take with every check that I mobile deposit:
  1. Indorse the check "For mobile deposit to [bank name][signature]" before opening the app to make the deposit
  2. After the bank confirms the deposit is accepted, write "mobile deposited on [date]" on the face of the check to avoid attempting to deposit it again, via mobile deposit or in person (I like to visit the bank lobby occasionally. The people there are friendly.)
  3. Keep the check in my desk for a few days just in case it's returned for some reason. That gives me the ability to use the original check to document my case if I have to go legal to collect from the check issuer.
  4. Once I'm satisfied it's too late for it to be returned, I shred the check. That protects me, the issuer, and the banks involved from a dumpster diver who sees an intact, discarded check as an opportunity for fraud.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2270920 - 05/26/22 02:52 PM Re: Mobile check deposit fraud Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Mr. Burnett; these are brilliant "instructions" on how to properly negotiate a mobile check deposit.

Can we share this with the rest of the world, LOL.

#2271066 - 06/01/22 01:04 PM Re: Mobile check deposit fraud Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I can’t believe that with today’s technology they can’t see that these two checks had already been deposited two months prior.

well, they can see this, which is why the items are being returned as a duplicate transaction. But this does not occur until it gets to the paying bank where the checks are written from; the bank of deposit (in this case, Wells Fargo), would have no way of knowing these were previously negotiated at another bank when they accepted them for deposit.

others have listed steps to take once the item was deposited via mobile, and many checks now have a small box on the back where you can check off it was deposited via mobile. and shredding it or tearing it in half certainly stops anyone from being able to take and deposit again.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale