Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2272159 - 06/27/22 07:35 PM Date Rate Set - points applied to buy down rate
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
When a rate has been locked via a rate lock agreement, and the Borrower later requests for points to be paid so that the rate decreases, what is the the reportable Date Rate Set for use in calculating the Rate Spread on the HMDA LAR?

Example: The rate was originally locked on 03/29 (6.250%), but on 04/05 the Borrower chose to pay points to decrease the interest rate to 6.000%.

Despite the original rate of 6.250% still serving as the base rate and not being expired, would you say the date the points were applied to achieve the Net Rate of 6.000 would be a HMDA reportable reset date...meaning 04/05...or is there a case to be made for keeping it at 03/29 (for HMDA...not speaking of TRID)? Thanks for your help...

5. Rate-set date. The relevant date to use to determine the average prime offer rate for a
comparable transaction is the date on which the interest rate was set by the financial institution
for the final time before final action is taken (i.e., the application was approved but not accepted
or the covered loan was originated).

i. Rate-lock agreement. If an interest rate is set pursuant to a “lock-in” agreement between the financial institution and the borrower, then the date on which the agreement fixes the interest rate is the date the rate was set. Except as provided in comment 4(a)(12)-5.ii, if a rate is reset after a lock-in agreement is executed (for example, because the borrower exercises a float-down option or the agreement expires), then the relevant date is the date the financial institution exercises discretion in setting the rate for the final time before final action is taken. The same rule applies when a rate-lock agreement is extended and the rate is reset at the same rate, regardless of whether market rates have increased, decreased, or remained the same since the initial rate was set. If no lock-in agreement is executed, then the relevant date is the date on which the institution sets the rate for the final time before final action is taken.
Last edited by pp1865; 06/27/22 07:37 PM.
Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2272179 - 06/28/22 11:20 AM Re: Date Rate Set - points applied to buy down rate Help! Compliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If the borrower renegotiated the interest rate to a lower rate with the lender on 04/05 and the lender agreed, I guess I fail to see why there is a question as to what date the final interest rate was last set?

Return to Top
#2272185 - 06/28/22 01:42 PM Re: Date Rate Set - points applied to buy down rate rlcarey
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
The line of business thought, because the base rate was still tied to the original rate lock and it hadn't expired, the resulting net rate that changed due to the buydown was not a HMDA reportable Date Rate Set event (tied to their thoughts in the light of TRID). Those of us in Compliance interpreted regulatory guidance the same as you, but we committed to check on behalf of the line of business to see if there was any allowance to help them avoid yet another required manual workaround to report the data element correctly for HMDA. In the end, it is what it is, and I will inform the line of business. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Return to Top
#2272192 - 06/28/22 04:13 PM Re: Date Rate Set - points applied to buy down rate Help! Compliance
Help! Compliance Offline
100 Club
San Antonio, TX
This is the response we received from the line of business:

"Their answer does not address the situation we have had. At a time a rate is locked, there is a variety of rate and point options available to the customer. When they choose to buy the rate down within the lock, they are going back to the original rate point combination at the original lock date and where the market is today is irrelevant. This is industry standard and is what our investors do on locks with them. In this case the system is showing the date rate set correctly."

The only other clarification I can provide is that it falls into the following open-ended statement in regulatory commentary:

“Except as provided in comment 4(a)(12)-5.ii, if a rate is reset after a lock-in agreement is executed (for example, because the borrower exercises a float-down option or the agreement expires), then the relevant date is the date the financial institution exercises discretion in setting the rate for the final time before final action is taken.”

To me this scenario falls into the reset category, despite it not being specifically mentioned as an example. We are not restricted to their couple examples as they are only examples of a larger number of scenarios.

However, when I look up what a interest rate reset includes via Google, all it speaks of ARM loans and their periodic resets.

Another thought...so when we have an option to one-time float down, and that is reportable, wouldn’t an option to buydown be reportable as well…or is float down only applicable, because it is tied to a later market rate at a later date?

Do you have any incite and references to which I can point that makes the date of a buydown of the rate a HMDA reportable event that changes the previous Date Rate Set (impact on the Rate Spread calculation)?
Last edited by pp1865; 06/28/22 04:27 PM.
Return to Top
#2272193 - 06/28/22 04:52 PM Re: Date Rate Set - points applied to buy down rate Help! Compliance
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The section of the regulation you quote above is pretty clear IMO for which date to use if the rate is re-negotiated and the rate lock agreement is extended.

Did the line of business extend the rate lock agreement or did the customer simply exercise a rate buydown option? If the customer simply exercised a rate buydown option (without the rate lock agreement being extended) then I would tend to side with the line of business.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM