Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2272769 - 07/13/22 04:50 PM Reg E - Token used
Shannon R Offline
New Poster
I have a client disputing some charges that are visa token secure. I looked up the token and on the same token there are other charges. The client has stated she made some of the charges but is disputing others that were used on the same token. The authorized charges came before, during and after the unauthorized charges. Since the client is admitting she did some of the transactions using the same token as the unauthorized charges would that be enough evidence she did the charges or is there a way someone else could have used the same token to make these unauthorized purchases?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2272774 - 07/13/22 05:49 PM Re: Reg E - Token used Shannon R
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
physical or digital token?

Return to Top
#2272800 - 07/13/22 09:06 PM Re: Reg E - Token used Shannon R
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
If it is an online merchant, the fraudster just hacked into the account and the token is on file just like the card number would be. I am seeing more and more of this with Amazon and some of the other merchants that have tokens on file. The token can't be used anywhere except for the merchant site, and I think it can only be used on the account is is originally assigned to. I asked Visa once if a card number could have more than one token assigned by a specific merchant and at first they told me no, but then they revised the answer (so my card could be tokenized on my Amazon account and if I let my daughter add my card to her account, another token number could be generated). Or at least that was my understanding of what the Visa rep was telling me.

Return to Top
#2272857 - 07/14/22 07:22 PM Re: Reg E - Token used HappyGilmore
Shannon R Offline
New Poster
It is a digital token

Return to Top
#2272859 - 07/14/22 07:49 PM Re: Reg E - Token used Shannon R
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you are going to have to conduct an investigation, just saying "there were authorized charges around the same time so can we count these as authorized" will not fly. If you are unable to truly determine, then you should err on the side of the customer and refund. was a physical product being purchased, can you tell if it was shipped to client, anything along those lines?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett