Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2273742 - 08/03/22 06:45 PM Help with Naming SAR Submission form
FraudBroad Offline
New Poster
Greetings!

We're looking to rename the form we currently refer to as our "SAR Submission Form", I've heard other banks refer to it as "Notice to Investigate" or something akin to that.

We're hoping for something catchy but still related back to BSA, as fraud has a similar form. We just want to make sure we've really separated the departments and what they use this form for.

My thought was to call it a 'CATCH' form, Concerning Activity, Transactional Conduct and Habits. I've been advised to look for additional suggestions and feedback. The fear being that the name is too long to remember, or rather that tellers may remember 'CATCH' but not what it stands for.

Does anyone have a different name they use for similar forms? Again this is a form for discoveries to be submitted by anyone in the bank to a BSA officer to investigate, not a SAR itself.

I appreciate the help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2273744 - 08/03/22 07:01 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
I've heard of calling it an STR ---Suspicious Transaction Report

I must say your "CATCH" form is pretty clever!

Return to Top
#2273746 - 08/03/22 07:20 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
Chinchilla Fan Offline
I've heard them called a SIR (Suspicious Incident Report) and a UFO (Unusual Financial Observation).

Return to Top
#2273748 - 08/03/22 07:26 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
Amy S Offline
100 Club
Go ahead and name it CATCH.....very catchy...In the end, it doesn't really matter if tellers remember the acronym, just that they know when to use it and why. Ours is labeled "Unusual Activity Form"

Return to Top
#2273749 - 08/03/22 07:37 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Ours is an SUA (Summary of Unusual Activity).

We try to avoid use of the word "suspicious," as we're really asking our staff to focus on the out of the ordinary. BSA personnel investigate and provide the collected info to the SAR Committee for them to determine whether the activity/transaction rises from the level of unusual to suspicious or not.

Return to Top
#2273755 - 08/03/22 09:18 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we use SIR

Return to Top
#2273756 - 08/03/22 09:29 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
I know of several banks that use UAR - Unusual Activity Report.

Return to Top
#2273764 - 08/04/22 11:59 AM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We use QAR - Questionable Activity Report

Return to Top
#2273767 - 08/04/22 12:46 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
nothing against anyone in this thread, but this is the kind of things banks waste time on that in the end, have no bearing on anything. someone somewhere thought if this had a catchy name it would do what, make people remember to use it? at least it doesn't sound like they have yet to form a committee to generate choices and provide voting on said naming. although that could be next! or a meeting to discuss setting up a meeting to discuss the renaming!

hint - old timers at the bank will still call it the "SAR submission form" no matter what you rename it to...

and FraudBroad - your first post, welcome to BOL!

Return to Top
#2273774 - 08/04/22 01:15 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form HappyGilmore
FraudBroad Offline
New Poster
I think the concern was coming from tellers saying things like "I submitted a SAR", which they didn't (Not that they're at fault for thinking so), and we'd hate to have an auditor hear something like that.

I hear you, though. It is what it is, hard to rename something that's existed for so long.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Return to Top
#2273775 - 08/04/22 01:16 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form Chinchilla Fan
FraudBroad Offline
New Poster
UFO is a great one! I love that.

Return to Top
#2273807 - 08/04/22 06:22 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by FraudBroad
I think the concern was coming from tellers saying things like "I submitted a SAR"... and we'd hate to have an auditor hear something like that.

auditors can't write you up because someone stated something...they could certainly question something but once you explained that becomes a nothing burger

Return to Top
#2273815 - 08/04/22 07:37 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Just don't name it something that seems offensive if the name of the form is ever used to a customer themself. Those really old timers will remember the Criminal Referral Form, and if that was used it would certainly put a customer on edge.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2273900 - 08/09/22 02:13 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
MollyD Offline
Questionable Activity Report is what we use.

Return to Top
#2274552 - 08/22/22 08:24 PM Re: Help with Naming SAR Submission form FraudBroad
compgal21 Offline
Our frontline staff submits an Unusual Activity Referral (UAR)
Last edited by compgal21; 08/22/22 08:25 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z