Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2273794 - 08/04/22 02:59 PM Refugee Education Fund Investment
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
I have an academy (boarding school) requesting funds to support tuition financial assistance to refugee students whose families cannot pay the cost to attend. It's possible the students' families may not have made it to this country yet, while the student has. Even if they have, the money is handed out on a needs basis, to students who have fled to this county (legally) with not much more than the clothing on their backs.

I'm thinking this is CRA qualified donation, but I'm a little hung up on the refugee part. On the other hand I believe I have gotten credit in the past for supporting LMI New Americans (immigrant population) without issue.

Am I over thinking this, or does anyone see a reason we would not get investment test credit?

Return to Top
CRA
#2273845 - 08/05/22 06:25 PM Re: Refugee Education Fund Investment Lori01
IronP2717 Offline
100 Club
It sounds like it could work.

Document. If you have a letter from the school that provides these facts or if this info is on their website, I would incorporate that in your comments.

Think about it from every angle. Is the school located in a LMI? Is the tuition assistance only for LMI? What's their % of LMI students? % of Minority students receiving tuition assistance?

Return to Top