Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options Tools
#22725 - 07/05/02 02:46 PM Dress Code
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are in the process of updating our Employee Policy. I need to come up with a revised dress code. I am having a difficult time, because I am from the old school and expect a strict dress code. We struggle with our younger employees on a weekly basis on the meaning of professional dress. If anyone has a dress code they would be willing to share with me, I would like to see what other banks have in place. My fax number is 812-738-1807.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#22726 - 07/05/02 03:33 PM Re: Dress Code
rhurlbert Offline
rhurlbert
Spokane, WA
On its way to your fax number, hope it gives you a few ideas.

Return to Top
#22727 - 07/05/02 04:36 PM Re: Dress Code
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
I have a dress code I would be willing to share, but I am not comfortable faxing it to "anonymous". If you would like to e-mail me and identify yourself and your financial institution,I will be happy to share. (lcallaway@SandySpringBank.com)

Return to Top
#22728 - 07/05/02 05:04 PM Re: Dress Code
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Isn't it funny how times change? When I started in banking just over 16 years ago, we were told to wear only white dress shirts, a plain dark colored tie, dark trousers, and dress shoes. Hair had to be well kept and young ladies dressed conservatively. At senior managements discretion, and it was not unusual, someone could be sent home to change or to the barbershop next door to correct a bad hair cut. Who would have thought back then that the dress code would have to be written and address such things as body piercings, tattoos, visible thong underwear, the wearing of underwear and bras, exposed midriffs, and skirts more than 4 inches above the knee?

Of course I never thought back then that I would be typing this in dockers and a polo shirt, you see it is casual Friday!

Return to Top
#22729 - 07/05/02 05:49 PM Re: Dress Code
Anonymous
Unregistered

A prior company I worked for had a problem with defining proper attire as well. They did a "fashion show" at one of the employee meetings showing different types of dress and asked everyone to comment on whether it was appropriate or not, and what their reasoning was. Additionally, one of the HR people sat down with some store ads and made a binder showing appropriate and inappropriate styles. This was very useful as it showed current styles. The staff meeting was also helpful for management so that they could hear the reasonings behind why some people thought a style was appropriate when others didn't. It made it a bit easier to respond and make a clearer distinction.

Return to Top
#22730 - 07/05/02 06:23 PM Re: Dress Code
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
The style guide is a great idea! I still need an idea to teach basic fashion guidelines, though. For instance, did you look in the mirror before you left home? Do you see anybody else dressed like that here? Clothing styles for 20 year olds are not the same as styles for 45 year olds, clothing you'd wear to a club on Saturday night is not appropriate for the main office lobby, etc.

Return to Top
#22731 - 07/05/02 06:31 PM Re: Dress Code
Sam Ott Offline
Power Poster
Sam Ott
Norman, Ok, USA
If you are willing to share your Dress Code, send it to BOL and we will place it in the Tools section.

Return to Top
#22732 - 07/05/02 06:33 PM Re: Dress Code
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Where do you live--is it a rural area? In the big city, many of those issues have existed for much more than 16 years. Can you say "mini-skirt" (in the early 70's) or "Madonna" (in the early 80's)? Now, the body piercing is another thing--it is an issue that as been around less than 16 years.

Return to Top
#22733 - 07/05/02 09:06 PM Re: Dress Code
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Yes Zaibatsu I live in a rural community. I guess back then we just "knew better" than to try to push the fashion envelope or we would be shown the door. If someone showed up for work dressed inappropriately they were sent home to change, no kidding. Years ago our CEO felt that one young teller's hairstyle was inapproriate and he was sent to the barber shop next door to get a buzz cut.

Now we have young girls coming to work with belly shirts and tongue piercings who become irate if anyone dares to mention their appearance and threaten to sue you if you can't show them exactly where in the dress code it says they can't wear a see thru skirt with a thong underneath.

Return to Top
#22734 - 07/05/02 09:15 PM Re: Dress Code
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
So, its not so much the current fashion as it is the current expectation that they are entitled to wear it to work. Well, I think that has changed a bit. I know a business that asked a worker to take a bumper sticker with the F-word off her car. That person asked: "That is who I am--do they want me to change who I am to work here?" Needless to say with that attitude, she did not last long.

Even the Army has noticed this trend and now advertises itself as "An Army of One." I would not want to go into battle with anyone who was attracted to the Army through that slogan. I assume I'd get hung out to dry (die) in a tight spot.

Return to Top
#22735 - 07/06/02 09:20 PM Re: Dress Code
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
Before we went to our current casual dress policy, we use to have one Casual Friday every month. We were allowed to wear khakis and golf shirts (or other suitable casual attire), but we had to pay to do so. Each month the bank chose a local charity, and anyone who wished to donate money (usually at least $1) could dress casually that day. The money collected was donated to the designated charity. We all wore stickers stating why we were dressed casually, and there were posters in each branch explaining what we were doing and what charity was benefitting. Sometimes customers asked to donate as well, and we usually raised at least $500 each time. In October we raised money for Lee National Denim Day (Breast Cancer) and anyone who donated got to wear denim jeans that day! It was fun for all concerned!

Return to Top
#22736 - 07/07/02 02:52 PM Re: Dress Code
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
We had a similar program that happened once a year where we could pay $5 to dress casually for one day and the proceeds went to a local charity. We only participated one year and it became clear that strict guidelines would have to be put into place before we went to casual Fridays. We have shirts with our bank logo that are required on Fridays. Each employee was given two and could purchase additional styles. The shirts can be worn with casual dress slacks or skirts. When we first started, we were afraid we were going to have to tell some of the young ladies that they could not just wear the shirt with a belt like a short dress!

Return to Top
#22737 - 07/07/02 09:03 PM Re: Dress Code
Banknote Offline
Kentucky
What about tucking a shirt in? We wear our "bank shirts" every other Friday (paydays). It is an unwritten rule that these shirts must be tucked in. Some departments enforce this and some don't. I do not like this rule because all of our employees are not the same size and this really bothers some. Every other shirt worn is not required to be tucked in. Why this particular shirt? Is this a policy that other banks have too?

Return to Top
#22738 - 07/08/02 01:13 AM Re: Dress Code
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
We have the tuck in rule as well and some are not comfortable with it and it is not flattering for everyone. Thankfully we do have a wide variety of shirts and sweaters so that most can find something comfortable.

Return to Top
#22739 - 07/08/02 01:13 PM Re: Dress Code
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
When I use to do new employee orientation - I would always make the comment that if you have a question about your attire being appropriate then it is not and choose something else to wear. Our bank has different dress codes depending if you have customer contact or not. It still remains to be a challenge for some individuals as to what qualifies business casual versus casual attire.

Return to Top
#22740 - 07/08/02 02:09 PM Re: Dress Code
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
This discussion points out why many employers - not just financial institutions - are going back to business attire full-time.

Return to Top
#22741 - 07/08/02 04:43 PM Re: Dress Code
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
At a prior bank, whenever the branches "dressed down" (which at that time meant a t-shirt or sweatshirt and jeans) many of the customers hated it and felt that if we were that sloppy in dress, we'd be that sloppy in our work. We eventually changed to "business casual" - the bank logo polo and khakis - the customers still felt that way so it was eliminated altogether.

Return to Top
#22742 - 07/08/02 04:53 PM Re: Dress Code
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Wow! The only comments I've ever heard have been just the opposite of that - wondering why we're so formal all the time. How about everyone else?

Return to Top
#22743 - 07/08/02 06:01 PM Re: Dress Code
Christina Offline
100 Club
Christina
Midwest
We've got the same reputation. In fact, I've heard from employees that came from different banks that we're known as "Vogue Bank." We encourage a professional look but that interpretation can be dramatically different from one generation to the next. We discourage "trendy" attire. We have a casual day once a month, providing polo shirts, but not requiring them. Definitions of casual are vastly different too.
What are your experiences when you have softened your dress code? Do customers notice? Has anyone had the same experiences as BBoyd?

Return to Top
#22744 - 07/08/02 07:43 PM Re: Dress Code
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I should probably mention in that prior bank (where customers complained...), they have now gone to being "business casual" every Friday and Saturday (of course, the name of the bank has also changed, thus the change of philosophy). The employees have to wear bank logo shirts. In my current bank, no outside customer contact area is allowed to wear anything but business attire; back room areas can be business casual on payday Fridays. We can only wear a polo or t-shirt on those days if it displays the bank logo. The only exception to that was during our last conversion (12/00) when all the branch folks were allowed to wear bank sweatshirts and khakis.

Return to Top
#22745 - 07/08/02 08:09 PM Re: Dress Code
Sponge Steve Offline
Gold Star
Sponge Steve
Midwest
It is amazing. I see people flip-flopping through here looking for work. It's like they're laying at the beach and jump up and say, "Hey, I'm going to run right down to the bank to get a job."

John T. Malloy's book, "Dress for Success" should be a prerequisite read for anyone looking for a job in banking.

It's incredible to see that a written code is needed or the smart alecks can get away with attire best left in strip joints. Who raises these kids? Will these same dopes argue loud belching and food fights in restaurants are acceptable since no posted rules say they're not OK? Incredible. How does one legislate good taste?

Return to Top
#22746 - 07/08/02 08:18 PM Re: Dress Code
ABrown Offline
Gold Star
Texas
I have to say that we have a lot of the 'younger generation' working for us and the problem seems to be that no one has taught them the correct way to dress. I have sent home people to change and had to tell them specifically what they were not to wear to work. One of our things is that if skin shows below the waist on ladies, there had better be hose covering it. I know the trend is to not wear hose, but it is one thing that we require. What I have found is that I have to be the mentor for these younger people (Yikes! I am only 34. Why do I know what is right and what is wrong? My parents taught me.) They may be mad about going home at first, but then they see that we have set rules and they must follow to continue working here. I had one come to me after I sent her home and say that she finally understands what is expected of her. I consider that an accomplishment.

Return to Top
#22747 - 07/08/02 08:39 PM Re: Dress Code
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
A few years ago, I had a new male employee appear after 2 weeks of training wearing an earring - not a stud earring, but one that hung down about 1/2". Before I said anything to him, I first called the trainer to see what he had been told about wearing it. She had told him to ask me about wearing it - before he put it in his ear - which he hadn't. So....being the conservative banker that I am, I had a chat w/him about it and asked that he not wear it at work, particularly since our clientele was older and more conservative than other branches. He was livid and felt he had the right to wear it, especially since the women got to wear earrings..... Did I mention he was about 19 - and a model? I told him he was welcome to wear it the minute he walked out the door - but not in the branch. Have any of you had to deal with anything like that?

Return to Top
#22748 - 07/08/02 08:52 PM Re: Dress Code
Sponge Steve Offline
Gold Star
Sponge Steve
Midwest
We had a 40-something woman going through a divorce/mid-life crisis come in one day with a huge stud in her bottom lip. She was told to remove it unless she could prove it was part of the religious garb of her tribe. She said she wouldn't. She was told that meant the end of her employment. She still refused. She's no longer here.

Was there a policy that specifically prohibited studs in the lower lip? I doubt it. How do you specify every prohibited thing in a policy when the imagination will find something outrageous not covered in the policy? e.g. Does anyone have a policy that says, "A split tongue is not acceptable?" Kids are doing that now. Or how can you even imagine writing a policy that says, "You cannot wear a large fish hook through your cheek?"

How do you legislate good taste?

Return to Top
#22749 - 07/08/02 09:14 PM Re: Dress Code
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about tattoos? Does anyone have any rules regarding that?
Also, how/when is dress code approached at your bank? We send a dress code notice prior to their first day on the job and it is amazing how many new employees ignore the rules!
(Split tongue? Are you serious?)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3