Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2275476 - 09/13/22 03:43 PM Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature
lokes Offline
New Poster
Florida
Currently, our CIP policy requires that the identification provided include a picture and a signature. However, some US government issued IDs do not have signatures (e.g. U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Alien Card, etc.). We recently came across a Colorado DL that did not have a signature and had the REAL ID star. I am seeking input from other FIs as to what your requirements are with regards to the identification. Do you require picture and signature, or picture only? Also, what documents do you accept? I know the reg mentions verification through documents may include "unexpired government-issued ID evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photo or similar safeguard", but no requirements to have both that I can find so I am looking at recommending a change to our policy.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2275493 - 09/13/22 05:30 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A US Passport is not valid unless it is signed, but that is besides the point. Why you added a signature requirement is beyond me and it sounds like you have brought on this dilemma upon yourselves.

Return to Top
#2275508 - 09/13/22 07:05 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Recommend you update your policy to remove the signature requirement.

Return to Top
#2275527 - 09/13/22 08:49 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by lokes
Currently, our CIP policy requires that the identification provided include a picture and a signature.

great thing about policies, when they don't make sense you can change them. this seems to be one of those times...

Return to Top
#2275544 - 09/14/22 02:14 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature rlcarey
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted by rlcarey
A US Passport is not valid unless it is signed, but that is besides the point. Why you added a signature requirement is beyond me and it sounds like you have brought on this dilemma upon yourselves.

Not sure why a FI would accept an Identification document that is not valid.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2275555 - 09/14/22 04:22 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
SteveDave Offline
100 Club
I am with edAudit. If something is not valid I would not accept it. I am with the rest though that you should change the policy. A valid ID will work and no need to go to far into details.

Return to Top
#2275559 - 09/14/22 05:04 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I was commenting on this statement and noting that it was not a true statement.

However, some US government issued IDs do not have signatures (e.g. U.S. Passport, .......................

Return to Top
#2275567 - 09/14/22 06:14 PM Re: Acceptance of ID with Picture, but no Signature lokes
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
From the US Passport site:

A passport book is valid only when signed by the bearer in the space designated for signature, or, if the bearer is unable to sign, signed by a person with legal authority to sign on his or her behalf. A passport card is valid without the signature of the bearer.

so, perhaps, they meant passport card...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z