Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2255994 - 06/25/21 07:39 PM Text Messages under TCPA
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are looking at rolling out a service that would allow us to communicate with our customers via text when dealing with loans or other service related issues. We are discussing how to track the opt-out portion of the TCPA requirements.

I have read several things that indicate that for marketing purposes, we should keep all opt-in/out records for 4 years. However, we would not be marketing to our customers-- this would purely be service related.

How long do others keep their records?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2265191 - 01/25/22 09:12 PM Re: Text Messages under TCPA Anonymous
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
I have a similar question....My bank is planning to send text messages (via a third party provider) for account/service related issues. Since these are not marketing messages, do we need to provide an opt-in prior to sending a message? Or, only an opt-out after the first message is sent?

#2265234 - 01/26/22 03:58 PM Re: Text Messages under TCPA Anonymous
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Bump

#2277311 - 10/28/22 05:04 PM Re: Text Messages under TCPA Anonymous
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Well, this is coming around again.... does anyone know the answer to my question back in January? Since these are not "marketing" texts, does TCPA apply?

#2277353 - 10/31/22 02:43 PM Re: Text Messages under TCPA Anonymous
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
If these are automated messages than I think the TCPA would apply regardless of whether they involve marketing.

(a) No person or entity may:

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, initiate any telephone call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or is made with the prior express consent of the called party) using an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice;

(i) To any emergency telephone line, including any 911 line and any emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service office, health care facility, poison control center, or fire protection or law enforcement agency;

(ii) To the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of a hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar establishment; or

(iii) To any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call.

(iv) A person will not be liable for violating the prohibition in paragraph (a)(1)(iii) of this section when the call is placed to a wireless number that has been ported from wireline service and such call is a voice call; not knowingly made to a wireless number; and made within 15 days of the porting of the number from wireline to wireless service, provided the number is not already on the national do-not-call registry or caller's company-specific do-not-call list. A person will not be liable for violating the prohibition in paragraph (a)(1)(iii) of this section when making calls exempted by paragraph (a)(9) of this section.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale