Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2277994 - 11/17/22 03:35 AM Dual Control
Feeney Offline
New Poster
Florida
Our ATMs allow our members to deposit cash and checks without requiring the use of an envelope. Whenever a check is deposited, it goes directly onto the cash letter. Two employees are required to remove the deposit contents and verify both cash and checks. We have seen cases where the cash was verified by two people but the checks were not. One reason for not verifying the checks with two people is that the checks go right onto the cash letter. Also got a question of what is meant by dual control when verifying checks? I just wanted to know what others are doing. Are you requiring the verification of checks under dual? Why or why not?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2278001 - 11/17/22 03:51 PM Re: Dual Control Feeney
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If the checks are scanned at the time of deposit - what would even one person be verifying? Sorry - it has been a long time since I serviced an ATM.

Return to Top
#2278021 - 11/18/22 02:02 AM Re: Dual Control Feeney
Feeney Offline
New Poster
Florida
When the checks are scanned, sometimes the ATM may pick up the wrong amount. For instance, if the check is written for $10.00, the ATM could read it as $1000. So, they have to verify the amount and compare to the amount sprayed on the check.

Return to Top
#2278049 - 11/19/22 09:09 AM Re: Dual Control Feeney
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And why would that take 2 people?

Return to Top
#2278323 - 11/29/22 09:34 PM Re: Dual Control Feeney
Feeney Offline
New Poster
Florida
To be honest, I'm not sure why. I was asking about it because I thought that maybe I was overlooking something,

Return to Top
#2278325 - 11/29/22 09:46 PM Re: Dual Control Feeney
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Security of cash is more important and I can see dual controls there. If the check is to the bearer it could be a security issue but otherwise it seems a waste of time unless both are there. Then they're each getting paid anyway and a double check is always good. Plus if these are folks accessing the back of the ATMs and they have access to the cash in the machine, it helps protect everyone.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett