Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2278154 - 11/22/22 11:24 PM Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline
Compliance Poster Offline
Gold Star
I’m unable to find an answer to this question. Will you please help me? If we, the paying bank, fail to return a check to the depository bank by the midnight deadline and we are then liable for the amount, can we chargeback the amount to the customer’s account that it was drawn from? Also is this a UCC issue or Reg CC?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2278158 - 11/23/22 09:17 AM Re: Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline Compliance Poster
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I do not understand - why are you returning the item to begin with - you mean the customer was overdrawn? If the item is a forgery, then no.

Return to Top
#2278168 - 11/23/22 02:53 PM Re: Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline rlcarey
Gold Star
Randy,
Yes, thank you, it involves a forgery. Also, is there a time-period in the UCC for a depositor to notify us after receiving a statement?

Return to Top
#2278173 - 11/23/22 03:40 PM Re: Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline Compliance Poster
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The UCC varies depending on state law so you would need to check with legal counsel to confirm. For most states the UCC gives the customer one year to report a forgery. This can also be shortened by your deposit agreement so legal counsel should review that as well.

Return to Top
#2278179 - 11/23/22 04:15 PM Re: Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline Compliance Poster
Gold Star
Brian, thank you for your advice.

Return to Top
#2278187 - 11/23/22 05:05 PM Re: Chargeback To Acct If We Fail Midnight Deadline Compliance Poster
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Back to your question -- If the bank had determined to return the check unpaid because of NSF or an overdraft or the date of the check, and missed the midnight deadline for the return, the bank generally can charge its customer's account for the check.

But if payment was stopped on the check or the check is clearly a counterfeit or the issuer signature appears to be forged (or just plain isn't authorized), no, you can't charge the customer's account.

There are exceptions for service interruptions preventing the timely return.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett