Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2278309 - 11/29/22 07:32 PM Identity Theft / Cashiers Check Situation
Questions Offline
We recently had a case of identity theft, where an individual walked into a branch and withdrew a cashier's check from our customer's account using a fake ID. I know there are rules around placing stop payments when a cashier's check has been lost/stolen/destroyed, but is it allowable under the UCC to place a stop payment if we know the funds were fraudulently withdrawn?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2278310 - 11/29/22 07:56 PM Re: Identity Theft / Cashiers Check Situation Questions
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No.

Return to Top
#2278311 - 11/29/22 08:14 PM Re: Identity Theft / Cashiers Check Situation Questions
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You can refuse to cash the check if the identity thief is foolish enough to bring it in to one of your offices and attempt to cash it.. But, as Randy efficiently offered above, you can't stop payment on it. If it is presented for payment by a holder in due course -- which means almost anyone other than the ID thief that started this mess -- you have to cash it if the holder can provide the normal ID documentation you require.

More likely, the check will show up in a cash letter after being deposited somewhere else, or cashed by a check cashing business. Again, you'll have to honor it.

Reimburse your customer's account; if appropriate, file a SAR; contact law enforcement.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2278601 - 12/08/22 04:36 PM Re: Identity Theft / Cashiers Check Situation John Burnett
Questions Offline
What about under UCC Section 47-3-411? Refusal to Pay Cashier's Check

It references when an instrument is obtained from the bank by fraud.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2021/title-47/chapter-3/part-4/section-47-3-411/

Return to Top
#2278604 - 12/08/22 05:31 PM Re: Identity Theft / Cashiers Check Situation Questions
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The TN UCC is different than the actual UCC, but I believe that only covers expenses and consequential damages.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett