Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2279237 - 12/28/22 03:01 PM Named Insured
parr04 Offline
Gold Star
oklahoma
I received a flood policy for a commercial loan where the named insured is slightly different than the actual property owners name.
The policy shows the named insured to be Black River Valley, LP but the title commitment shows the actual property owners to be Black River Valley Partners, LP.

This is a rather large loan and need to be sure we have a valid policy. Is this close enough or should we have the correct name shown as the insured before the loan is funded?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2279239 - 12/28/22 03:37 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That would be like have a policy with a named insured of John Burnett when the property is owned by Randy Carey.

Those would be two totally different entities.

Return to Top
#2281317 - 02/21/23 03:05 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
Wonderofitall Offline
100 Club
Wonderofitall
Out West
Our loan is to Entity A who is selling the home (our collateral) to Buyer under a rent-to-own contract. Buyer purchased the flood insurance, and the flood policy reflects Buyer's name with our bank as loss-payee. Does the policy need to reflect our borrower's name in addition to the Buyer's name?

Return to Top
#2281318 - 02/21/23 03:06 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If this a rent own contract, what is the role of the bank in this transaction?

Return to Top
#2281323 - 02/21/23 03:20 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
Wonderofitall Offline
100 Club
Wonderofitall
Out West
The bank took the collateral as security for our loan to our borrower. Subsequent to our loan, our borrower is selling the home to Buyer, and under that contract, Buyer is responsible for purchasing hazard and flood insurance and paying property taxes.

Return to Top
#2281337 - 02/21/23 05:29 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Since likely you have a due on sales clause in your contract, I would have immediately exercised that clause and declared the loan in default. Depending on State law, your collateral is now jeopardized depending on the rights of the contract for deed purchaser. In many States they obtain an ownership interest in the property. If your borrower defaults, how do you plan to foreclose on the property? Regardless of any of that, the current vested owner of the property has to also at least be named as an additional insured.

Return to Top
#2281352 - 02/21/23 06:54 PM Re: Named Insured parr04
Wonderofitall Offline
100 Club
Wonderofitall
Out West
Thanks, Mr. Carey.

Return to Top