Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2279284 - 12/29/22 03:31 PM Safe Deposit Box Notification/Procedure - Br Relo
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
We are relocating our branch to another location 1/2 mile away. What is the proper procedure for notifying our SDB Customers? What happens if they don't respond? Any TX Code to look to on this?

Return to Top
#2279288 - 12/29/22 03:46 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Notification/Procedure - Br Relo ComplianceNerd
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Texas Finance Code § 59.107

7 Texas Adminiistrative Code §3.35

I also recommend you have Dave McGuinn's books on your shelf: http://www.sdspec.com/

http://www.sdspec.com/Manuals.html

He provides a 12 step program in his paper to follow when moving safe deposit boxes.

Years ago, I'd probably know the answer or have it handy. And I could probably research and answer your question, but you can do that.

You might also search the Texas forum, your question may very well have been answered.

Maybe someone who has the answer handy will reply. I hope this is helpful.

Return to Top
#2279291 - 12/29/22 03:57 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Notification/Procedure - Br Relo ComplianceNerd
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
Thank you so much for your help!

Return to Top
#2279292 - 12/29/22 04:21 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Notification/Procedure - Br Relo ComplianceNerd
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Okay, I found some information I had saved from an article written by Dave McGuinn:

Twelve Step Program
Take into consideration the following 12 steps. All of them must be carefully followed:
1. Proper written notification must be given to all renters.
2. Establish a specific “Chain of Custody” log.
3. Carefully select the right moving date and time.
4. Identify the safest access routes, to and from each location
5. Establish adequate security controls and procedures.
6. Review your safe deposit liability insurance coverage.
7. Prepare a detailed vault floor plan and box layout.
8. Develop a written box move bid specification.
9. Establish a detailed box relocation bidding procedure.
10. Use only “experienced” box movers.
11. Specify your box relocation requirements.
12. Review all dimensions, procedures, specifications, etc.

Extra Precautions
In addition to these steps, one innovative financial institution came up with a great idea. They bought a dozen eggs just before their box relocation. No, they weren’t planning to serve breakfast. They placed a hard-boiled egg in twelve empty boxes that were scheduled to be moved. After completing the relocation, these uncracked eggs were removed under dual control and this entire procedure was documented. This extra precaution would serve as a valuable defense if any renter makes a claim for
damaged box contents in the future.

If you need additional assistance, reach out to Dave McGuinn.

Return to Top
#2279295 - 12/29/22 05:21 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Notification/Procedure - Br Relo ComplianceNerd
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We did all of the above when we moved our main office in 2017. Hired an experienced company out of Dallas to move the boxes. Driver for the box moving company locked the doors on the truck and handed the key to police who followed the truck the 5 blocks we moved them. My letter to members included that they had the right to be present for the move, but I explained the logistics of why that was not a good idea. Any concerned members could remove the contents from the box and then replace them after the move if they wished (we had 2 or 3 that opted to do this). We filmed the move and did the boiled eggs in empty boxes (I think we only had a few unrented boxes). The box movers had measured the space where the boxes were going to prior to moving them so the process was very fast.

We had no issues with any part of the process.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z