Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2280163 - 01/23/23 07:23 PM Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR?
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Must payments made to a charged off account (loan or credit card) be updated with the credit bureau to show the balance reducing accordingly?

Or must we only report a charged off account as being paid to a $0 balance once it has been paid in full?

Thanks in advance!

Return to Top
#2280164 - 01/23/23 07:45 PM Re: Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR? Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In what field would you report the declining balance? You have to report the original charge-off balance. There is no field for the declining balance of which I know.

Return to Top
#2280165 - 01/23/23 07:56 PM Re: Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR? Likes to Comply
MainStreeter Offline
My understanding is that you do report the declining balance... if you look at the Field Definitions for the Base Segment of the Metro 2 Guide under the Original Charge-Off Amount, it instructs that for Status Codes 64 & 97 "report the
original amount charged to loss, regardless of the declining balance. Report whole dollars only.
If payments are received from the consumer, report the outstanding balance in the Current Balance and Amount Past Due fields."
Once the debt is paid in full you would adjust the codes to reflect that.

Return to Top
#2280176 - 01/23/23 11:53 PM Re: Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR? Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - I see that now. Thanks.

Return to Top
#2280283 - 01/25/23 08:22 PM Re: Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR? Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Do you update this information using an AUD in eOSCAR?

Return to Top
#2280288 - 01/25/23 09:14 PM Re: Payments made on charged off accounts-Update CBR? Likes to Comply
MainStreeter Offline
Yes, we update the declining balance via AUD. But you'd want to make sure no updates are going from your core system that would later override your AUD.

Return to Top