Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2280573 - 02/02/23 06:30 PM Property Value with CD as additional collateral
KRT Offline
Southeast US
If a loan is secured by a dwelling and a certificate of deposit, should the balance of the CD also be included in the Property Value?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2280586 - 02/02/23 10:02 PM Re: Property Value with CD as additional collateral KRT
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
From everything I read in the reg, it appears "property' references real estate. Where a CD is not real estate, I would exclude it. Especially where the option is available to use NA if a decision should ever be made without relying on property value. Adding the balance of a CD would also skew HMDA reports meant to reflect property values.

Return to Top
#2280593 - 02/03/23 01:57 PM Re: Property Value with CD as additional collateral KRT
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the value of the CD was used in calculating the CLTV then you include it.

6. Property. A financial institution reports the combined loan-to-value ratio relied on in making the credit decision, regardless of which property or properties it used in the combined loan-to-value ratio calculation. The property used in the combined loan-to-value ratio calculation does not need to be the property identified in § 1003.4(a)(9) and may include more than one property and non-real property. For example, if a financial institution originated a covered loan for the purchase of a multifamily dwelling, the loan was secured by the multifamily dwelling and by non-real property, such as securities, and the financial institution used the multifamily dwelling and the non-real property to calculate the combined loan-to-value ratio that it relied on in making the credit decision, § 1003.4(a)(24) requires the financial institution to report the relied upon ratio. Section 1003.4(a)(24) does not require a financial institution to use a particular combined loan-to-value ratio calculation method but instead requires financial institutions to report the combined loan-to-value ratio relied on in making the credit decision.

Return to Top
#2280596 - 02/03/23 02:27 PM Re: Property Value with CD as additional collateral KRT
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
Dan - would you please provide the source for the #6? I want to bookmark it. when I read through 1003.4(a)(28) and comments 1-4, I didn't see any reference to non-real property taken as collateral. Thanks!

Return to Top
#2280599 - 02/03/23 03:11 PM Re: Property Value with CD as additional collateral KRT
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
It's from the 2022 A Guide to HMDA Reporting: Getting it Right / page I-62

Return to Top
#2280612 - 02/03/23 04:42 PM Re: Property Value with CD as additional collateral KRT
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Melissa - the cite I posted is from 1003.4(a)(24) - comment 6 in the OSI.

Return to Top