Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2280570 - 02/02/23 05:16 PM HELOC renewal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read 1026.40 and 1026.9. I cannot determine if a renewal of a home equity LOC is considered a change in terms (none of the terms are changing, they just have access to the LOC for 5 more years. Can someone point me in the right direction?

On a similar note, if we decide not to renew the LOC, is this a change in terms? I am assuming not because it was disclosed at the time the HELOC was opened. However, if a few renewals have occurred and now we've decided not to renew-- is that a change in terms?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2280575 - 02/02/23 06:39 PM Re: HELOC renewal Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
When a HELOC is approaching maturity, the customer can refinance it if they qualify to continue to have access to the line, or there may be a baloon payment under the terms of the original note if they attempt to refinance it and don't qualify.

With a refinance you are providing a new note and a new TILA disclosure. With a balloon payment, you follow the terms of the original note.

Neither of these are change in terms.

#2280613 - 02/03/23 04:49 PM Re: HELOC renewal Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

We don't make them refinance. We have a 5 year draw period that can be renewed for another 5 year period. No refi necessary. So no new TILA disclosures are provided because it does not replace the existing obligation but rather allows them to continue to use it as a LOC instead of entering the fixed repayment period.

#2280616 - 02/03/23 05:01 PM Re: HELOC renewal Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
If the note gives the consumer the option to renew, then you are still operating under the terms of the original note so that is not a change in terms.

If the bank chooses not to renew, then you owe the consumer an adverse action notice.

#2280628 - 02/03/23 06:37 PM Re: HELOC renewal Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It really comes down to what your original HELOC contract actually sets forth. Otherwise, we are guessing. Talk to your legal counsel.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale