Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2280965 - 02/10/23 09:16 PM Ribbon cutting for pot shop
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Please don't beat me up too bad if you feel this question is... silly. It's been one of those weeks.

We have an employee who is a member of a local chamber. As a chamber member, she has been invited to a ribbon-cutting for a new pot shop. She is hesitant to go (because we do not bank MRBs). I can see both sides in giving her an answer. I would love to hear feedback on your view of this - or hit me upside the head if I'm missing something.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2280966 - 02/10/23 09:27 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Say you have a previous commitment.

Return to Top
#2280977 - 02/10/23 11:58 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am an employee of a bank. I am a member of the local chamber of commerce. I fail to see what those two roles have in common?

Return to Top
#2280986 - 02/12/23 12:28 AM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
Andy Z Offline
As the banker I don't see the issue of not attending because it's an MRB. I see them perhaps wanting to avoid confrontation if the business owner wants to know why they're there after the bank refused their business?

Thinking long term, I'm in the camp that says it will be legalized at some point and banks will them bank MRBs or lose a lot of business. I would tell them now, we just can't, but if the law changes we'd love to bank you. And for that reason, if the bank will consider it, I think the banker should attend for future business development.

Return to Top
#2280992 - 02/13/23 01:07 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. My comment to her potential concern was that I did not see an initial problem, but I wanted to dig around a bit and get back to her.

Return to Top
#2281023 - 02/13/23 06:44 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
StormFront Offline
Personally, I would not attend. I would not want to be associated with the pot shop if my bank did not welcome the business.
The banker would be linked to the shop by virtue of a photograph of the ribbon cutting, and could appear to be condoning pot shops.

Return to Top
#2281026 - 02/13/23 07:45 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So, who is the member - the employee or the bank? If it is the employee, then how does the bank get a say as to whether the employee participates in an event sanctioned by the Chamber of Commerce, unless the bank is paying their dues?

Return to Top
#2281035 - 02/13/23 09:26 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
It is a Chamber of Commerce function, plain and simple. Presumably it is a legal business in your state, so that isn't a concern. Businesses make risk decisions all the time, and the fact that your bank isn't choosing to bank MRBs need not be a big deal. Let your employee make the choice if she is comfortable going. She'll need to exercise diplomacy and business courtesy, but those are good skill sets to possess at those hob nobs anyway. laugh

Return to Top
#2281038 - 02/13/23 09:54 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Hint: If the press asks for name and business info for a newspaper or web photo caption, your employee can decline to name the bank. A bit awkward, but ...
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2281042 - 02/13/23 10:49 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
Scott Chicoine Offline
Chamber "Business after Hours", "Ribbon Cuttings", "Open Houses/Business Tours"....I've been to hundreds and hundreds of 'em...many of them I wouldn't take on as a customer because of many reasons. You go smile, have snacks and as noted above: it is no big deal.

Return to Top
#2281043 - 02/13/23 10:55 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
"You go smile, have snacks and as noted above: it is no big deal."

You might want to go a little easy on the snacks in this particular case.

Return to Top
#2281044 - 02/13/23 11:07 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop basilring
Scott Chicoine Offline
Brownies!!!!

Return to Top
#2281055 - 02/14/23 02:10 PM Re: Ribbon cutting for pot shop Scott Chicoine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by Scott Chicoine
Chamber "Business after Hours", "Ribbon Cuttings", "Open Houses/Business Tours"....I've been to hundreds and hundreds of 'em...many of them I wouldn't take on as a customer because of many reasons. You go smile, have snacks and as noted above: it is no big deal.

this! after all, don't banks encourage their employees to be members of the community, to join civic organizations, to go out and meet and greet people?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z