Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2281246 - 02/17/23 03:25 PM Door County WI
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
We need and are planning a family vacation getaway! The adult kiddos have suggested Door County - anyone been or live near with suggestions for activities, food, adult beverages, etc?!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2281267 - 02/17/23 05:29 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#2281271 - 02/17/23 06:16 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Scott Chicoine Offline
Great choice. Many great small hotels, B&B's and cottages (VRBO) for rent. 3 wonderful state parks with biking and hiking trails. Wonderful local shops and restaurants. Lots of local vineyards have popped up along with small brew pubs and distilleries. Great golfing too. Much to do outside but also great museums, local and national live music as well as professional live theatre. You will not run out of things to do. Stay on the bayside where there are many things to do but also get to the lake side where things slow down a bit. And for a real change of pace, take the ferry to Washington Island for the day. Sturgeon Bay is the only 'big' city in Door Co and that might have 15,000 people. My ex and I had a condo in one of the small towns and my CPA firm had an office up there as well so been there LOTS.

Return to Top
#2281274 - 02/17/23 07:47 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Q Offline
live near there. everything Scott says. Wonderful place to visit during the summer. beautiful area to just walk/drive and explore with no chain restaurants north of Sturgeon Bay so great to try different local places.

Return to Top
#2281290 - 02/19/23 05:21 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
What about for little ones? We would have grandkids ages 3-8 along.

Return to Top
#2281332 - 02/21/23 04:46 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Scott Chicoine Offline
Plenty of stuff for little kids too. Several nice swimming beaches on the bayside. A few petting farms, a drive in theater some nice parks to play at, numerous, tons of outdoor stuff, rent bikes and a kid trailer and ride. Walking the beaches looking for rocks. The 8 year old will have more fun than the 3 year old. We started going up there when my youngest was 3 or 4 and he loved it. Candy shops, ice cream, lots of fresh farm markets. Go to Al Johnson's in Sister Bay to see the goats on the roof of the restaurant-all kis love that! Sister Bay also has a go kart track with 2 seater cars so you can ride with a little one.

Return to Top
#2281342 - 02/21/23 05:47 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Thanks. Tired of the gulf coast so looking for a new vacation option for this year. I'd like to go to St. Lucia, but we don't when the youngest's adoption will be final, so we're postponing foreign travel until we're certain she'll be able to leave the country.

Return to Top
#2281345 - 02/21/23 05:59 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
St. Lucia? I would not take kids to St. Lucia unless you were staying in some all-inclusive resort. It is not the most friendly or safe of the Caribbean Islands. We travel all over the place and I think we have hit at least a dozen islands down there and granted that it has been a few years, but I was a little uncomfortable wandering on my own on that island.

Return to Top
#2281397 - 02/22/23 05:14 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
Thanks all. We have booked a VRBO west of Bailey's Harbor - it looks like a central location on the map. The outdoor activities and local food/drink options are things we look for and enjoy. smile
A couple of other questions: Is it generally pet-friendly - we will have one pup with us? And are there any restaurants or activities we should book reservations at ahead of time?

Return to Top
#2281404 - 02/22/23 06:04 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Scott Chicoine Offline
Most places with outdoor seating are pet friendly. If you don't already see a dog at an outdoor spot, just ask-it is usually yes. Baily's Harbor has a Scottie Fest (Scottie Dog festival) every May so they are very dog friendly. Grasse's in Sister Bay and Shipwrecked Brew Pub and Mojo Rosa's in Egg Harbor are family favorites. If you get to Sturgeon Bay there is a small pet store that bakes their own dog treats (my dogs absolutely love the squirrels) and they have a dog wading pool on their patio. Take your dog into the state parks and walk them on the trails-they will have a blast. I'm 45 minutes away from Sturgeon Bay and when we are going up there I just say Door County and my 2 dogs go nuts.

Return to Top
#2281418 - 02/22/23 07:32 PM Re: Door County WI Island Dreaming
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
Awesome - thanks, Scott!

Return to Top
#2281420 - 02/22/23 07:46 PM Re: Door County WI rlcarey
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
When we take the kids to the Caribbean, we usually stay at an all-inclusive place. I like Windjammer Landing and Coconut Bay in St. Lucia, and Beaches in Turks and Caicos. Windjammer Landing is definitely more oriented to teens and older than to small children, though.

That said, I've felt safer in St. Lucia than Mexico or Jamaica.

Return to Top